Finance Associate at WITNESS
WITNESS uses video to open the eyes of the world to human rights violations. We empower people to transform personal stories of abuse into powerful tools for justice, promoting public engagement and policy change. WITNESS was co-founded in 1992 by musician and activist Peter Gabriel as the realization of his vision of capturing the stories of human rights atrocities on video and putting them at the forefront of human rights campaigns. Since then, WITNESS has trained and partnered with thousands of human rights activists to utilize video for change in over 80 countries all over the world.
WITNESS is seeking a detail-oriented and responsible Finance Associate to perform a wide range of integral fiscal and departmental duties under the direction of the Senior Finance Manager. Working closely with the External Relations, Program, and Operations teams, the Finance Associate will be the point-person for finance related inquiries, and will be able to effectively communicate financial reporting requirements to staff members.
The ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting, a keen eye for discrepancies, and impeccable professional ethics. Superior knowledge of GAAP and Excel required; experience with Concur and Blackbaud’s Financial Edge is a strong plus.
- Create, process and import General Journal entries.
- Maintain Chart of Accounts.
- Daily maintain and update Cash Flow Report.
- Reconcile accounts, subledgers, and databases to the General Ledger.
- Book payroll, deposits, online transactions, and credit card transactions as well as other sales and donations.
- Process Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions, including the generation and tracking of invoices.
- Process payments, including check payments, ACH, and wire transfer payments.
- Process and reconcile expense reports (Advance Reconciliations, Credit Card Reconciliations, Reimbursement Requests).
- Prepare and transfer batches from the Concur system to Blackbaud’s Financial Edge General Ledger. Make title corrections and other adjustments as needed.
- Retrieve monthly bills and statements online, and process as needed.
- Code transactions.
- Assist with completion of all monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as well as departmental, program, project, and grant reports.
DEPARTMENTAL DUTIES (50%):
- First point of contact for financial inquires by all staff.
- Provide support for completion of annual Form 990.
- Provide support for Concur system issues.
- Support work of annual audit.
- Assist with creation of annual, departmental, program, project, and grant budgets and reporting.
- Maintain departmental records and systems, including primary responsibility for filing of documents (both digital and paper versions) and entry of data into financial systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Work Experience & Education: You have a minimum of two to three years’ experience in accounting, financial management, or business, preferably at a non-profit organization. At minimum, you have received your Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or a related field. A Master’s degree in Accounting or related field is preferred.
- Skills: Knowledge of GAAP is required, but we will not ask you to debate the pros and cons of moving to IFRS. Knowledge of IRS Form 990 is a plus. Although you are very proficient with the entire MS Office suite, you can dazzle and amaze with Excel. You have experience with financial accounting software and it’s a plus if your experience is specifically with Blackbaud Financial Edge. You have excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. You understand that it takes a village and have exceptional interpersonal skills, flexibility, and ability to work collaboratively.
- Human Rights/Advocacy/Media/Technology: You have a strong interest, background and/or work experience in human rights advocacy or media/technology for social change; demonstrated commitment to social justice and WITNESS’ values and mission.
Job title: Finance Associate
Closing date: Rolling application