Headquarters in USA
Author: Amanda Romero (Centro de Información sobre Empresas y Derechos Humanos), José Aylwin y Marcel Didier (Observatorio Ciudadano, Chile)
“Globalización de las empresas de energía renovable: Extracción de litio y derechos de los pueblos...
- Related in-depth areas: Renewable energy & human rights Últimas noticias sobre recursos naturales
- Related companies: Albemarle FMC Galaxy Resources Ganfeng Lithium Jujuy Energía y Minería Sociedad del Estado (JEMSE) Lithium Americas (part of Ganfeng Lithium & Bangchak Co. Public) Livent (formerly part of FMC) Minera Exar SA (joint venture of Jemse, Lithium Americas & Ganfeng Lithium) Orocobre Pluspetrol Rockwood Lithium (part of Albemarle) Sales de Jujuy Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) TBEA YLB (Yacimientos de Litio Bolivianos)
South America: NGOs analyse indigenous peoples’ demands on access to water in fragile salt lakes in lithium production areas; Albemarle proposes a network to monitor water scarcity in Chile
A report analysing the demands by indigenous peoples affected by a growing demand of lithium extracted at three salt lakes in Argentina, Bolivia and Chile highlights the increasing concerns about responsible use of water by companies in that South...
Author: Han Chen, NRDC
The Industrial Energy Consumers of America sent a letter to Trump on May 15, expressing their support for withdrawal from Paris. In their letter, they claimed to represent large member companies with over $1 trillion in annual sales.... [yet] many of...
- Related stories: Members of US business org IECA disagree with its stance against Paris Agreement
- Related companies: Abbott Laboratories Air Products Archer Daniels Midland Ash Grove Cement Bristol-Myers Squibb Celanese Cliffs Natural Resources Corning Domtar FMC Formosa Plastics Gerdau Guardian Industries Incitec Pivot John Deere LafargeHolcim Linde Group Marathon Oil Molson Coors National Gypsum Owens-Illinois United States Steel
Negative effects of lithium mining on indigenous communities in Chile & Argentina exposed by Washington Post investigation; includes company statements
Author: Todd C. Frankel & Peter Whoriskey, Washington Post
“Tossed aside in the ‘white gold’ rush: Indigenous people are left poor as tech world takes lithium from under their feet”, 19 December 2016...
- Related stories: Tracking human rights violations & environmental impacts in lithium batteries supply chains in China, DRC & So. America
- Related companies: Amazon.com Apple FMC General Motors LG Chem LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) Panasonic Samsung Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) Tesla Motors Toyota
Tracking human rights violations & environmental impacts in lithium batteries supply chains in China, DRC & So. America
This series of stories in the Washington Post found that the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries - the power source for smartphones, laptops and electric cars - is linked to human rights abuses and environmental pollution in cobalt mines in Congo,...
USA: Corporate Equality Index scores record number of companies full marks for having inclusive policies for LGBT workers
Author: Paolo Prada, Reuters
Brazilian prosecutors said…they would seek at least 50 million reais ($16.6 million) from multinational pesticide manufacturers for alleged safety violations at a collection facility for used pesticide containers. The violations…exposed workers at the...
Author: Norwegian Ministry of Finance
The Ministry of Finance has decided to lift the exclusion from the GPFG of the three companies BAE Systems Plc, Finmeccanica S.p.A and FMC Corporation. The Ministry has also decided to exclude...two companies [involved in the production of nuclear...
Author: Council of Ethics for the Govt. Pension Fund Global [Norway]
Since the last annual report, four new recommendations have been made public. In these recommendations, the Council on Ethics recommended the exclusion of five companies from the Fund. The Ministry of Finance has excluded three companies and put one...