Related stories and components
South Korea: Anti-McDonald's Protests In Korea Battle Low Wages, Unfair Working Conditions, Say Labor Activists
Author: Shuan Sim, International Business Times
... McDonald’s part-time workers in Korea earn a minimum hourly wage of 5,580 won ($5.10) per hour ... The protesters have also said that McDonald’s in Korea fills every restaurant position with temporary workers to cut costs, including administrative...
- Related stories: Hyundai re claims of labour rights abuses in So. Korea
- Related in-depth areas: South Korea
- This is a non response from the following companies: Hyundai Heavy Industries
Author: Rose Kim, Bloomberg (USA)
Hyundai Motor...filed a police complaint against 13 activists it says led a violent clash at its biggest assembly plant that left 82 employees injured. The three-hour dispute...between activists from the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions...and...
- Related stories: So. Korea: Hyundai Motor files police complaint against 13 trade unionists after violent clash leaves 82 employees injured
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association South Korea
- Related companies: Hyundai Kia Motor Hyundai Motor (part of Hyundai Kia Motor)
Author: Um Ji-won & Heo Jae-hyun, Hankyoreh [South Korea]
Car parts manufacturer SJM is alleged by workers to have ordered personnel from the private security firm Contactus to violently break-up a sit-down strike at its factory...Police are investigating SJM on charges of ordering violence by privately...
Author: Hyunjoo Jin, Reuters
The labor union of Hyundai Motor [part of Hyundai Kia Motor] has threatened to suspend all engine output in the company's biggest production base…saying an employee set himself on fire to protest the company's alleged "suppression" of unionized...
Author: Yonhap News [So. Korea]
Samsung Everland…said Monday that it has fired a worker for leaking sensitive corporate information less than a week after employees set up a trade union. The company, which is an affiliate of Samsung Group…said Cho Jang-hee, the vice chairman of the...
- Related stories: So. Korea: Recently formed "pan-Samsung union" challenges "no union policy", company says it is committed to complying with regulations
- Related in-depth areas: Dismissals South Korea Technology
Author: Song Jung-a, Financial Times [blog]
Four employees at theme park operator Samsung Everland, the group’s de facto holding company, have formed the first pan-Samsung union, challenging the group’s policy of not allowing labour unions...Samsung is now the world’s largest technology company...
Author: Kim So-yon, Hankyoreh [So. Korea]
Workers are being progressively squeezed by compensation claims and provisional attachments from employers [for holding strikes]. The situation is reversing the gains made with an agreement reached eight years ago in which labor and management said...
Author: International Confederation of Free Trade Unions
- Related stories: Victoire syndicale en Corée du Sud: libération du dirigeant Dan Byung-Ho
- Related in-depth areas: Harassment & intimidation Interference with right to strike South Korea