Related stories and components
South Korea: Anti-McDonald's Protests In Korea Battle Low Wages, Unfair Working Conditions, Say Labor Activists
Author: Shuan Sim, International Business Times
... McDonald’s part-time workers in Korea earn a minimum hourly wage of 5,580 won ($5.10) per hour ... The protesters have also said that McDonald’s in Korea fills every restaurant position with temporary workers to cut costs, including administrative...
On 20 August 2014, IndustriAll reported that AkzoNobel Korea was failing to bargain in good faith with the IndustriAll affiliate Korean Chemical & Textiles Workers’ Federation (KCTF), which had reportedly organized 62 of the 115 employees at the c...
- Related stories: Hyundai re claims of labour rights abuses in So. Korea
- Related in-depth areas: South Korea
- This is a non response from the following companies: Hyundai Heavy Industries
Author: Rose Kim, Bloomberg (USA)
Hyundai Motor...filed a police complaint against 13 activists it says led a violent clash at its biggest assembly plant that left 82 employees injured. The three-hour dispute...between activists from the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions...and...
- Related stories: So. Korea: Hyundai Motor files police complaint against 13 trade unionists after violent clash leaves 82 employees injured
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association South Korea
- Related companies: Hyundai Kia Motor Hyundai Motor (part of Hyundai Kia Motor)
Author: Um Ji-won & Heo Jae-hyun, Hankyoreh [South Korea]
Car parts manufacturer SJM is alleged by workers to have ordered personnel from the private security firm Contactus to violently break-up a sit-down strike at its factory...Police are investigating SJM on charges of ordering violence by privately...
Author: Hyunjoo Jin, Reuters
The labor union of Hyundai Motor [part of Hyundai Kia Motor] has threatened to suspend all engine output in the company's biggest production base…saying an employee set himself on fire to protest the company's alleged "suppression" of unionized workers...
Author: Yonhap News [So. Korea]
Samsung Everland…said Monday that it has fired a worker for leaking sensitive corporate information less than a week after employees set up a trade union. The company, which is an affiliate of Samsung Group…said Cho Jang-hee, the vice chairman of the...
- Related stories: So. Korea: Recently formed "pan-Samsung union" challenges "no union policy", company says it is committed to complying with regulations
- Related in-depth areas: Dismissals South Korea Technology
Author: Song Jung-a, Financial Times [blog]
Four employees at theme park operator Samsung Everland, the group’s de facto holding company, have formed the first pan-Samsung union, challenging the group’s policy of not allowing labour unions...Samsung is now the world’s largest technology company...
Author: Kim So-yon, Hankyoreh [So. Korea]
Workers are being progressively squeezed by compensation claims and provisional attachments from employers [for holding strikes]. The situation is reversing the gains made with an agreement reached eight years ago in which labor and management said...
Author: International Confederation of Free Trade Unions
- Related stories: Victoire syndicale en Corée du Sud: libération du dirigeant Dan Byung-Ho
- Related in-depth areas: Harassment & intimidation Interference with right to strike South Korea