Torture & ill-treatment
Colombian union leader files suit against BP in US court alleging he was tortured by death squads hired by company
Ryan Abbot, Courthouse News Services, 28 Feb 2012
full text of complaint
Terry Collingsworth, Conrad & Scherer LLP, 24 Feb 2012
US appeals court rules lawsuit against Daimler over alleged abuses against union workers during Argentine "Dirty War" can be heard in US court, includes allegations of “disappearances”
Jonathan Stempel, Reuters, 18 May 2011
Bauman, et al. v. DaimlerChrysler Corporation, et al. - Opinion
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 18 May 2011
Colombia: Executives, employees of oil company Ocensa under investigation for alleged kidnapping, torture of union leader
Manuela Kuehr, Colombia Reports, 9 Dec 2010
Guatemala: Coca-Cola Hit with New Charges of Murder, Rape, Torture
Grassroots Net, 1 Mar 2010
Nigeria: Workers allege 'inhuman treatment', use of underage labour and ban on unionisation at Lee Group - includes company response
Business Day (Nigeria), 5 Jun 2008
Argentina: Allegations against Ford for abuses during the military dictatorship (1976-1983)
Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, 2006-2007
Guatemala: Rape of girl on coffee farm, allegedly as part of trade union repression, clouds CAFTA negotiations
Frank Jack Daniel, Reuters, 29 Jul 2004
Avanza en EE.UU. causa abierta contra Mercedes-Benz por su supuesta implicación en desapariciones de obreros durante la dictadura en Argentina
Terra Actualidad – EFE, 21 abril 2008
Demanda presentada en Argentina contra Ford por ex-empleados que dicen que fueron secuestrados y torturados en las instalaciones de la empresa durante la dictadura militar (1976-1983)
Compilado por el Centro de Información sobre Empresas y Derechos Humano, 24 abril 2007
Demandan a DaimlerChrysler en EEUU por abusos en Argentina
Reuters, 14 enero 2004
Related stories and components
Author: Ryan Abbot, Courthouse News Services
An oil worker and union leader claims right-wing death squads kidnapped and tortured him in Colombia at the behest of...BP. Gilberto Edgar Torres Martinez...sued BP in Federal Court. Torres claims BP recklessly hired the paramilitary thugs to protect...
- Related stories: BP lawsuits (re Casanare, Colombia) Colombian union leader files suit against BP in US court alleging he was tortured by death squads hired by company
- Related in-depth areas: Colombia Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Lawsuits Oil, gas & coal Torture & ill-treatment
- Related companies: BP
Author: Terry Collingsworth, Conrad & Scherer LLP
Plaintiff...is the victim of grave mistreatment, including torture, at the hands of paramilitary forces linked to...BP...To protect its interests, BP...paid the CNA [Colombian National Army] and local police to provide security...Paramilitary forces...
Author: Jonathan Stempel, Reuters
Daimler AG was ordered on Wednesday to face a U.S. lawsuit alleging it participated in the kidnapping, torture and death of Mercedes-Benz workers in Argentina's "Dirty War" three decades ago. A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals...
- Related stories: Daimler lawsuit (re Argentina) US appeals court rules lawsuit against Daimler over alleged abuses against workers during Argentine "Dirty War" can be heard in US court
- Related in-depth areas: "Disappearances" Argentina Automobile Latest Legal News Lawsuits Torture & ill-treatment
- Related companies: Daimler Mercedes-Benz (part of Daimler)
Author: US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Plaintiffs-Appellants (the “plaintiffs”), twenty-two Argentinian residents, bring suit against DaimlerChrysler Aktiengesellschaft (DCAG) alleging that one of DCAG’s subsidiaries, Mercedes-Benz Argentina (MBA) collaborated with state security forces to...
Author: Manuela Kuehr, Colombia Reports
Several executives of the multinational oil company Ocensa are under investigation in connection with the kidnapping of a unionist and their alleged ties to paramilitaries, Noticias Uno reported Thursday. Unionist Gilberto Edgar Torres Martinez was...
- Related stories: Colombia: Juez ordena investigación por supuesta responsabilidad de los directivos de la petrolera Ocensa por secuestro y tortura de un sindicalista
- Related in-depth areas: Abduction - an introduction Apple 2012 supplier report Colombia Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Oil, gas & coal Quarterly Bulletin on Business and Children Torture & ill-treatment
Author: Editorial, Business Day [Nigeria]
Barely one week after May Day celebrations...workers of Lee Group of Companies in [Nigeria] raised an alarm over abuses and inhuman treatment meted out to them by the...company...According to the president of the [National Union of Chemical, Footwears,...
Author: Terra Actualidad - EFE
La causa abierta contra…Mercedes-Benz [parte de Daimler] por su supuesta implicación en la desaparición de varias personas durante la última dictadura militar en Argentina (1973-1986) comenzará este año en Estados Unidos…[L]a periodista alemana...
Author: Frank Jack Daniel, Reuters
[Guatemala] The 15-year-old told police she was washing clothes with her younger brother on the Maria Lourdes farm in southern Guatemala on July 6 when they were attacked by masked gunmen, who beat them both and raped her...Amnesty International says...
Según la demanda, presentada en un tribunal federal de California por los familiares de las víctimas, varios ejecutivos de la planta de González-Catán de Mercedes Benz Argentina, en la provincia de Buenos Aires, colaboraron entre 1976 y 1977 en la...
- Related stories: DaimlerChrysler sued in USA over alleged Argentine abuses
- Related in-depth areas: "Desapariciones" Argentina Asesinatos Automobile Automóviles Demandas Tortura y malos tratos
- Related companies: Coca-Cola DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) Mercedes-Benz (part of Daimler) Unocal (part of Chevron)