USA: Walmart files unfair labour practice charge with National Labor Relations Board in attempt to stop planned strikes
Heather Tooley, Examiner.com, 17 Nov 2012
Walmart workers launch 1st ever strike - they demand end to retaliations against workers trying to organise -Includes company response
14 Oct 2012
US National Labor Relations Board rules Tesco violated labour laws by requiring employees to hand out fliers to customers apologising for inconvenience caused by union protesters
Labor Relations Board, 25 Jun 2012
So. Africa: Walmart responds to trade union federation Cosatu saying it will respect So. Africa labour laws if it enters the country
JP du Plessis, Eye Witness News (So. Africa), 28 Sep 2010
USA: Walmart and union jointly support govt. plan to require employers to provide health insurance for workers
Janet Adamy & Ann Zimmerman, Wall Street Journal, 2 Jul 2009
Philippines: Labour rights orgs. denounce police attacks on striking workers & their dismissals by factory producing clothes for Walmart
Maquila Solidarity Network, 1 Nov 2006
UK: Asda fined £850,000 for discriminating against union members
BBC, 10 Feb 2006
Asda Walmart: The Alternative Report - company has denied employees essential protection & bargaining rights
GMB & War on Want, Sep 2005
China's state-run union reacts to Walmart move to allow unions at its China operations
Cui Qingxin Xinhua, China View, 25 Nov 2004
China: Walmart's union ban draws heat
Standard (China), 21 Oct 2004
Thailand: Sub-contractor of Samsonite reinstates workers and gives assurance it will not “interfere with trade union activities”
Intl. Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU), 16 Sep 2001
Related stories and components
Author: Amy Goodman, Southern [USA]
[scroll down page for Wal-Mart response and other material] Wal-Mart workers launched the first strike against the giant retailer in its 50-year history, with protests and picket lines…across 12 states. Many of these nonunion workers are facing...
- Related stories: Walmart workers launch 1st ever strike - they demand end to retaliations against workers trying to organise
- Related in-depth areas: Harassment & intimidation Interference with right to form trade unions Latest news on freedom of association Retail Transport USA
- Related companies: RoadLink Transportation Solutions (part of RTS Holdings) RTS Holdings Walmart
Tesco PLC d/b/a Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market, Inc. and United Food and Commercial Workers International Union: Decision and Order
Author: National Labor Relations Board [USA]
[T]he Respondent [Tesco] distributed a flyer…apologizing to customers for any inconvenience union protesters may have caused. The…flyer…[said]:…The protesters are not our employees and have been hired by the United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW)...
- Related stories: US Labor Relations Board rules Tesco violated labour laws by requiring employees to hand out fliers to customers apologising for inconvenience caused by union protesters
- Related in-depth areas: Interference with right to form trade unions Latest news on freedom of association Retail USA
- Related companies: Tesco
Author: Unite & Teamsters
A new report…highlights serious flaws in the National Express Group’s human rights policy. The report, ‘National Express Group’s Diminution of Labor Rights in the U.S,’ starkly concludes that the company’s policy enables it to continue anti-union...
Author: Eyewitness News [So. Africa]
...Walmart...has made an offer to buy Massmart, which represents brands like Game, Dion Wired and Builders Warehouse. However, trade union federation Cosatu has criticised the potential buyer, saying the company is a bad employer with no respect for...
Author: Janet Adamy & Ann Zimmerman, Wall Street Journal
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Tuesday told the White House that it supports requiring employers to provide health insurance to workers…We are for an employer mandate which is fair and broad in its coverage," said the letter, signed by Wal-Mart Chief Executive...
Author: Maquila Solidarity Network
Workers producing clothes for Wal-Mart at the Korean-owned Chong Won Fashion garment factory in the Philippines...[are facing] their employers’ attempt to destroy their union through violence, mass firings and intimidation. On September 27, a combined...
- Related stories: 7 apparel companies join chambers of commerce in expressing concern to Philippines President about political killings and violent attacks against striking workers
- Related in-depth areas: Apparel & textile Beatings & Violence Interference with right to form trade unions Retail
- Related companies: Chong Won Walmart
Author: BBC News
Supermarket giant Asda [part of Wal-Mart] discriminated against trade union members, an employment tribunal has ruled... The company was found to be in breach of trade union legislation and faces paying out £850,000 in total - up to £2,500 to each of...
Author: War on Want & GMB (Britain's General Union)
Wal-Mart’s relentless pursuit of the lowest possible prices has taken a heavy toll on its employees and suppliers. Workers in Wal-Mart stores and distribution centres have seen their rights violated as a result of cost cutting, while the company’s...
- Related stories: "Asda Wal-Mart - The Alternative Report" raises concerns about Wal-Mart's labour practices
- Related in-depth areas: Interference with right to form trade unions Retail
- Related companies: ASDA (part of Walmart) Walmart
Author: Olivia Chung, The Standard [China]
Wal-Mart, Kodak and other major American corporations are coming under fire in the mainland for ignoring the country's labour laws by forbidding their employees to set up trade unions...[also refers to Dell, Samsung, McDonald's, KFC (part of YUM!)]
Author: International Confederation of Free Trade Unions
Following a sustained global trade union campaign, the final 29 workers sacked illegally from a ‘Light House Industry’ factory in Thailand have been reinstated...the Light-House Industry (a sub-contractor of US luggage giant Samsonite) also gave...