"Free Speech and Freedom of Association: Finding the Balance" - position paper critiques employer groups' defense of US-style anti-union campaigns - includes responses & non-responses
Intl. Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), Jun 2013
USA: Union files complaint with labour board alleging Boeing took surveillance photos of union members - company denies claims
Steve Wilhelm, Puget Sound Business Journal (USA), 3 Jan 2013
Turkish Airlines fires at least 150 personnel over slowdown strike; union says proposed legislation is a move "against universal, constitutional, and the most fundamental, workers’ right"
Today's Zaman, 29 May 2012
National Express Group’s human rights policy enables it to continue anti-union behaviour in the USA, says new report – includes company response
John Logan, San Francisco State University & University of California-Berkeley, 27 Feb 2012
Fiji: Qantas & Air Pacific linked to drafting of decree that labour groups say "effectively outlaws unions" – includes company responses
compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre Oct 2011
US unions accuse FirstGroup of anti-union tactics at shareholders meeting; 50 complaints involving harassment & intimidation by FirstGroup’s subsidiary managers lodged with the National Labor Relations Board - firm denies allegations
Press Association & Intl. Brotherhood of Teamsters, 10 Jul 2007
UK: Activist “was unfairly demoted” for trade union activities
Dick Murray, Evening Standard (UK), 30 Sep, 2002
Related stories and components
Author: Intl. Trade Union Confederation
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Delta Air Lines and Deutsche Telekom to respond to this paper; see responses below.] The fundamental right to freedom of association guarantees that workers are able to form and join trade unions...
- Related stories: "Free Speech and Freedom of Association: Finding the Balance" - paper by Intl. Trade Union Confederation critiques defence of US-style anti-union campaigns by employer groups
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association Practical guidance Technology Transport
- Related companies: Bezeq Delta Air Lines Deutsche Telekom Pelephone (part of Bezeq) T-Mobile (part of Deutsche Telekom)
Author: Steve Wilhelm, Puget Sound Business Journal [USA]
One week before negotiations are scheduled to resume between Boeing and one of its biggest unions, the engineers union has filed another unfair labor practices complaint with the National Labor Relations Board. The Society of Professional Engineering...
Author: Amy Goodman, Southern [USA]
[scroll down page for Wal-Mart response and other material] Wal-Mart workers launched the first strike against the giant retailer in its 50-year history, with protests and picket lines…across 12 states. Many of these nonunion workers are facing...
- Related stories: Walmart workers launch 1st ever strike - they demand end to retaliations against workers trying to organise
- Related in-depth areas: Harassment & intimidation Interference with right to form trade unions Latest news on freedom of association Retail Transport USA
- Related companies: RoadLink Transportation Solutions (part of RTS Holdings) RTS Holdings Walmart
Author: Today's Zaman
Turkish Airlines (THY) has fired 150 of its personnel over a partial slowdown that forced the national flag carrier to cancel at least 128 domestic and international flights...The union said it asked its members to protest a legislative attempt to...
Author: Unite & Teamsters
A new report…highlights serious flaws in the National Express Group’s human rights policy. The report, ‘National Express Group’s Diminution of Labor Rights in the U.S,’ starkly concludes that the company’s policy enables it to continue anti-union...
Author: Press Association [UK]
A group of school bus drivers from the US will travel to Britain this week to call on employers FirstGroup to end what they call the company's "anti-union tactics". The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, the union that represents thousands of...
- Related stories: US unions accuse FirstGroup of anti-union tactics at shareholders meeting - firm denies allegations
- Related in-depth areas: Harassment & intimidation Transport USA
- Related companies: FirstGroup
Author: Dick Murray, Evening Standard [UK]
A leading union activist sacked from his job as train driver [by South West Trains] for speeding offences was unfairly demoted, an industrial tribunal ruled today...The tribunal decided Mr Tucker had been "singled out for his trade union activities..."