Headquarters in USA
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Michael J. Kavanagh, Bloomberg
Democratic Republic of Congo Prime Minister...forbade sales of state assets and the signing of new contracts while the country awaits a cabinet reorganization...During the transition, there is a "prohibition on the sale, transfer, or disposal of state...
Author: Ethical Council (Sweden)
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Incitec Pivot & Walmart to respond. Incitec Pivot response provided. Walmart did not respond]. [Swedish pension funds] are to divest their holdings in Walmart, Freeport McMoRan, Incitec Pivot...
Extractive industries and the challenges of implementing Voluntary Principles in Weak Governance Zones
In South Africa during August 2012, Lonmin...experienced violent clashes between security forces and employees resulting in an estimated 44 deaths (mostly employees) and over a month of disruption to operations…[I]n May 2013, citing the company’s poor...
Author: Global Rights
Learning module for civil society organizations in Sub-Saharan Africa on access to remedy for business-related human rights abuses: the broader system, and business-centered mechanisms. [Refers to Freeport-McMoran]
- Related stories: Global Rights presentation to NGOs in Sub-Saharan Africa on access to remedy for business-related human rights abuses
- Related in-depth areas: Général General non-judicial mechanisms Latest news on UNGPs
- Related companies: Freeport-McMoRan
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre case profile for lawsuits against Freeport-McMoRan for alleged complicity in human rights abuses committed by security forces employed by Freeport in West Papua. Plaintiffs also alleged Freeport's operations...
Author: Le Potentiel (Rép. dém. du Congo)
Le Gouvernement a, par un arrêté intergouvernemental...prorogé jusqu’au 31 décembre 2013 le moratoire visant l’interdiction des exportations des minerais bruts non raffinés...l’interdiction d’exporter du cuivre et du cobalt non transformés depuis la...
SOMO report examines records of 8 extractive companies on human rights & tax avoidance – company responses & non-responses provided
Author: Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations (SOMO)
In July 2013, Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations (SOMO) published a report ("Private Gain - Public Loss: Mailbox companies, tax avoidance and human rights") that analyses the tax avoidance & human rights record of 8 big extractive...
- Related stories: SOMO report examines records of 8 extractive companies on human rights & tax avoidance.
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on tax avoidance SOMO report examines records of 8 extractive companies on human rights & tax avoidance (2013)
- Related companies: Barrick Gold China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Freeport-McMoRan Glencore ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Pluspetrol Tamoil Trafigura Beheer
Author: Frédéric Thomas, CETRI (Centre Tricontinental), (Belgique)
L’exploitation minière est à la fois un miroir et un levier de la mondialisation en cours. Elle soulève des problèmes en termes de gestion et de contrôle, mais aussi, plus radicalement, en termes d’égalité, de droits et, finalement, de choix de société...
Response by Freeport-McMoRan: SOMO report examines records of 8 extractive companies on human rights & tax avoidance.
- Related in-depth areas: SOMO report examines records of 8 extractive companies on human rights & tax avoidance (2013)
- This is a response from the following companies: Freeport-McMoRan
Indonesia has ordered a halt in operations at a giant US-owned mine while inspectors probe a fatal tunnel collapse…in a stoppage that could last two months. On May 14, a tunnel caved in at Freeport-McMoRan's gold and copper Grasberg mine in Indonesia's...