Below are some of the key demands and campaigns by international civil society groups and trade unions calling for corporate accountability to urgently mitigate the health and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on garment workers.
Beyond the pandemic, civil society organisations are calling for urgent reform of the global garment industry and a rebalancing of the unequal power dynamic that exists between brands, suppliers and garment workers – which has been both exposed and exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis.
- This live tracker maintained by the Worker Rights Consortium and the Center for Global Workers’ Rights monitors which brands are fulfilling commitments to pay for orders using suppler--verified data on order payments
- Clean Clothes Campaign is urging brands to commit to a wage assurance: ensuring that all their workers will be paid during this crisis
- All Eyes on Fast Fashion, a campaign led by Asia Floor Wage Alliance and Global Labor Justice, calls on brands to immediately pay 2% of their annual sourcing to help ease the impact of COVID-19 on garment supply chain workers
- #PayUp campaign calls on brands to pay suppliers for all orders that were cancelled or paused as a result of COVID-19
- Clean Clothes Campaign calls on brands to publicly commit to proper due diligence to minimise the impact of COVID-19 on garment workers’ health and livelihoods
- IndustriALL principles for action on COVID-19 in textile, garment, shoes and leather industries
- The International Labour Organization’s COVID-19: Action in the Global Garment Industry aims to catalyse action from across the garment industry to support manufacturers to survive the economic disruption caused by the pandemic and to protect garment workers’ income, health and employment (see here for a list of brands endorsing the Call to Action)
- Garment Worker Center:
- European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights’ policy paper on human rights due diligence in times of (economic) crises
For further information on further campaigns and petitions, you can visit Clean Clothes Campaign’s COVID-19 campaigns page: https://cleanclothes.org/campaigns/covid-19
[This is a live tracker we update on an ongoing basis. If you have additional information on these issues please contact us at [email protected] with the subject line ‘COVID-19 Action Tracker’]