Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in South Africa
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Sowetan (So. Africa)
So. Africa: Gold mining companies form industry working group to address occupational lung disease, 18 Nov 2014:...Anglo American...AngloGold Ashanti, Gold Fields, Harmony, and Sibanye...[are to] address issues relating to compensation and medical...
So. Africa: Plaintiffs' experts accuse gold mining companies of distorting science to quash silicosis class action lawsuit
Author: Dewald van Rensburg, City Press (So. Africa)
"Silicosis lawyers defend class action", 21 Sep 2014...
Author: Loni Prinsloo, Business Day (So. Africa)
Mining groups have been accused of saving themselves millions by dragging out silicosis litigation and payment of compensation to victims…Richard Meeran…attorney…for ill workers…says families of workers fear they will die during court delays,...
Author: Roger A, GhanaWeb
Gold Fields Ghana[‘s]…Damang Mine…has handed over a newly constructed clinic and nurses’ quarters…to the Ghana Health Service and the Bompieso Community…The construction of the facility follows a request made on the management of the Damang mine in...
- Related companies: Gold Fields
Author: Tracy McVeigh, Guardian (UK)
The fate of thousands of sick and dying South African gold miners could be decided in a British court if talks to set up an industry fund to compensate them continue to stall…[Representatives] of South Africa's National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) were...
- Related stories: AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) So. African mining union demands Anglo American provide healthcare & compensation for silicosis sufferers; includes company statement Videos highlight plight of So. African miners with silicosis allegedly caused by excessive dust exposure in Anglo American gold mines Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Gold Fields
Author: Natasha Odendaal, Mining Weekly
…South Africa’s National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) planned to attend…Anglo American’s annual general meeting…to demand “justice” for former gold miners suffering from silicosis…NUM president…accused the mining giant’s board of “procrastinating for...
- Related stories: AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) Gold miner silicosis litigation (re So. Africa) So. African mining union demands Anglo American provide healthcare & compensation for silicosis sufferers; includes company statement Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Anglo American Gold Fields Harmony Gold
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Welcome to the 11th issue of the Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin. To assist all those following corporate legal accountability issues, we send this bulletin to highlight key developments, new cases profiled on our site, updates to...
- Related stories: Aerial spraying ban lawsuit (re banana companies in Philippines) Amesys lawsuit (re Libya) AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) Argor-Heraeus investigation (re Dem. Rep. of Congo) Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin – Issue 11, December 2013 HudBay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Kaweri Coffee (part of Neumann Gruppe) lawsuit (re forced eviction in Uganda) KBR lawsuit (re human trafficking in Iraq) Koh Kong sugar plantation lawsuits (re Cambodia) Nestlé lawsuit (re Colombia) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits Veolia & Alstom lawsuit (re Jerusalem rail project) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletins Latest Legal News
- Related companies: African Rainbow Minerals Alstom Amesys (part of Bull) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Argor-Heraeus BP Bull CACI Chevron Ford Gold Fields Harmony Gold HudBay Minerals IBM Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) KBR L-3 Communications L-3 Titan (part of L-3 Communications) Neumann Gruppe Talisman Tate & Lyle Texaco (part of Chevron) Titan (now L-3 Titan) Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Veolia Transport (part of Veolia Environnement)