Grants and GL Accounting Manager at BSR
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR's more than 20 years of leadership in sustainability.
Reporting to the Controller, this position will be responsible for managing the day to day accounting function of six consolidated entities as well as the grants management process, including: grant contract and budget review, application of appropriate rate and recovery schedules, and detailed grant project and summary reporting on a monthly basis. In addition, this position will play a key role in BSR’s technical accounting research, monthly general ledger accounting analysis and memo preparation, and review and improvement of controls. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the value of ongoing process improvement within an advanced cloud accounting environment. BSR uses Intacct’s financial management and accounting applications and the candidate must be confident of their ability to thrive in an evolving, fast-paced environment.
- Manage the month-end close and general ledger reconciliation process, including the preparation and review of journal entries and reconciliations
- Oversee GL accounting to ensure compliance with US GAAP for nonprofit entities and assist international accounting staff in identifying differences between US GAAP and IFRS/local accounting regulations
- Provide information and support for consolidated US external audit, including the A-133 Single Audit
- Provide information and support for statutory annual filings for the U.S., China, Japan, Hong Kong, France, and Denmark
- Lead BSR’s VAT tax responsibilities for its foreign entities
- Prepare the annual Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (NICRA) submissions
- Lead process and system improvement initiatives to automate allocations for accurate grant and organizational accounting
- Ongoing review of grant contracts identifying details affecting revenue and determining the appropriate revenue accounting
- Prepare internal management and external compliance reporting for all grants
- Proactively research, documents, develop and maintain procedural documentation for various technical accounting items
- Assist the Finance team and Project Managers with ad hoc research, reporting and projects as it pertains to finance and accounting
- Assist with inquiries related to internal quarterly and year-end external audits
- Assist with the annual budget process
- Serve as a key interface with outside auditors on technical accounting positions
- Assist management in mentoring and developing accounting staff
- Ad hoc projects as necessary
NOTE: Only candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- BS in Accounting or related degree, CPA a plus
- 5-7 years of experience, 2+ years in nonprofit accounting required and strong grant accounting experience preferred
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, including working knowledge of IFRS/local accounting regulations
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to simplify and explain complex accounting guidance to stakeholders of all levels across multiple functions
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to effectively work with departments throughout the organization.
- Previous experience with Intacct and Salesforce.com a plus
- Advanced Excel skills
- Self-starter who can work with minimal supervision
- High ethical standards and committed to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity
BSR is a highly dynamic organization and, accordingly, the responsibilities associated with this position description may change from time to time in accordance with the Company’s business needs.
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. BSR is an EEOC employer.