Highlights of Thailand's new fisheries legislation
Author: Ian Urbina, Published on: 26 November 2015
The Royal Ordinance on Fisheries B.E. 2558 (2015) came into force on 14 November 2015, replacing the recently amended Fisheries Act B.E. 2558 (2015).
The new legislation amounts to a fundamental and comprehensive reform of the legal framework governing Thai fisheries.
Highlights of the new fisheries law include:
- More effective fisheries management and stakeholders’ involvement
- Improved oversight of fishing operations and transshipments at sea
- Enhanced traceability system
- Preventing IUU (illegal, unreported, unregulated) vessels and products from entering port
- Deterrent sanctions
- Improving welfare and working conditions of seamen, and eliminating unlawful labor practices in the fisheries sector