Member of UN Global Compact
Canada: Liberal MP proposes modern slavery bill requiring Canadian companies to report on measures to reduce risk of forced labour
Author: Samantha Beattie, HuffPost Canada
A proposed federal bill is hoping to crack down on Canadian companies that import products tainted by child and forced labour. The Modern Slavery Bill, tabled in the House of Commons Thursday by Liberal MP John McKay, would require companies to...
Bangladesh: Report alleges Alliance of endorsing garment factories despite safety concerns, Alliance disputes findings
The report titled Dangerous Delays on Worker Safety concludes that Alliance for Bangladesh Workers Safety is concealing its lack of action and overstating its remediation progress, while retailers are failing to fulfil their commitment to make garment...
The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety (Alliance) is a legally binding, five-year commitment to improve safety in Bangladeshi ready-made garment (RMG) factories. The Alliance was organized in 2013 through the Bipartisan Policy Center with...
Author: US Chamber of Commerce Foundation
Companies are mobilizing their expertise, capabilities, and resources to assist with the recovery efforts following the earthquake in Nepal. Businesses have pledged $26.8 million in cash and additional in kind contributions in support of relief and...
- Related stories: Nepal: Companies respond to earthquake, aid rescue mission & rehabilitation efforts
- Related companies: 3M Abbott Laboratories American Express Amgen Apple Aramark AT&T AXA Bank of Montreal BASF Bharti Airtel BJ Services Bristol-Myers Squibb Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) Canon Cisco Systems Clorox Coca-Cola Columbia Sportswear Deutsche Telekom DHL (part of Deutsche Post) Diageo DSM eBay Facebook Fast Retailing FedEx Ford Gap General Motors Google (part of Alphabet) H&M Henry Schein Honda Hudson's Bay IKEA Inditex ITC JPMorgan Chase Kellogg Kingfisher Kohl's Marsh & McLennan Metlife Microsoft Mitsubishi Group National Bank of Canada New York Life Panasonic PepsiCo Procter & Gamble Qualcomm Royal Bank of Canada SAP Sealed Air Sears Shaw Communications Square Group Starbucks Sun Life Financial T-Mobile (part of Deutsche Telekom) Tata Group Time Warner Toronto-Dominion Bank Toyota Uber UPS Verizon Visa Group Vodafone Walmart Walt Disney Yahoo! (part of Verizon)
Author: Interfaith Center for Corporate Responsibility
On the second anniverary of the Rana Plaza tragedy in Bangladesh, in April of 2015, a coalition of global investors representing $2.5 trillion in assets sent letters to corporate members of the Bangladesh Accord for Fire and Building Safety (Accord)...
- Related stories: Rana Plaza two years on: Progress, but compensation and workers' rights still lacking
- Related companies: Abercrombie & Fitch adidas American Eagle Outfitters Benetton C&A Carrefour Carter's Cato Children's Place Costco Esprit Gap H&M Hudson's Bay Inditex J.C. Penney Jones Group Just Group Kohl's L.L.Bean Loblaw Companies Macy's Mango Marks & Spencer Nordstrom Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Puma PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Sears Target Tesco VF Corp Walmart
Author: Patrick D Dolan, Hinshaw & Culberton LLP in Employment Law Observer (USA)
“Wilting Under A White-Hot Spotlight, Saks Settles Transgender Case,” 5 Mar 2015...
- Related stories: USA: Saks argues transgender employees not protected under US employment discrimination law
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Hudson's Bay Saks Fifth Avenue (part of Hudson's Bay)
Author: Serena Solomon, DNAinfo (USA)
Stephanie Wilson was reaching...inside a paper shopping bag from Saks Fifth Avenue when she found a letter pleading, "HELP HELP HELP." The message...[was] from a man who said he made the bag while being unfairly held in a Chinese prison factory..."We...
Author: Ruth Domoney, Labor Behind the Label
CSC9000t (the China Social Compliance 9000 for the textile and apparel industry) is a code of conduct for textile and clothing enterprises. It was launched in 2005 by the China National Textile and Apparel Council, (CNTAC)...As of August 2005 roughly...
- Related stories: China Social Compliance 9000 for Textile & Apparel Industry
- Related companies: Hudson's Bay
Author: Maquila Solidarity Network
...Transparency Report Card, assesses and compares public reporting on labour standards compliance by 30 top apparel retailers and brands selling clothes in the Canadian market, including Levi Strauss, Nike, adidas, H&M, Mountain Equipment Co-op,...
- Related stories: "2006 Transparency Report Card" assesses labour standards reporting by 30 apparel retailers: Levi Strauss, Reebok score highest; Mountain Equipment Co-op, Mark’s Work Wearhouse, Hudson’s Bay improve from 2005
- Related companies: adidas H&M Hudson's Bay La Senza (part of Limited Brands) Levi Strauss Nike Reitmans Roots