Human Rights Manager at BSR
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s more than 20 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Manager, Human Rights, will be part of BSR’s fast-growing Human Rights team, with a focus on managing projects for clients based in the U.S. East Coast and in Europe. The Manager will work collaboratively across BSR’s industry teams and with teams based in all of BSR’s offices.
BSR’s global consulting work covers a range human rights issues, including assessing the human rights risk of companies; developing mitigation strategies, policies, and impact management plans; developing remediation plans; supporting on human rights reporting and stakeholder engagement efforts; addressing human rights in the supply chain; and supporting BSR’s Human Rights Working Group. BSR’s Human Rights practice specifically assists companies across all industries. This position will especially focus on work with the following sectors: food and agriculture, ICT (Information, Communications, and Technology), financial services, healthcare, manufacturing and infrastructure, and consumer goods.
The manager will also be a part of the larger New York consulting team and may support other sustainability projects beyond human rights as needed.
The position is full-time, based in New York.
The successful applicant will be:
- Passionate about BSR’s mission and above-mentioned focus areas.
- Comfortable in a high-performing, fast-paced, entrepreneurial and challenging work environment
- Client ready, with significant experience in developing and delivering presentations to engage senior clients
- Structured and analytical in communication and work products.
- Experienced in managing several projects simultaneously.
Project Management (75% of total time): The Manager will assume responsibility for managing member relationships and projects, especially with East Coast U.S.-based accounts. This will require:
- Managing several projects concurrently
- Leading the intellectual agenda for projects, shaping the direction for what the project should achieve and how to get there
- Maintaining day-to-day client relationship
- Preparing for and leading client workshops
- Leading and guiding production of client-ready work products
- Managing the project team of BSR colleagues (typically 3-4 people)
- Developing and managing to a clear project timeline and budget
- Ensuring consistent delivery of best-in-class work products
Business development and thought leadership (25% of total time):
The Manager will work with the Human Rights Team and other Industry Directors to grow the existing relationships and build new opportunities. This also includes contributing to BSR’s research, thought leadership and external engagement. The manager will also be responsible for building/maintaining relationships with the Business and Human Rights community in NY and DC.
Candidates with the below specific requirements will be considered:
- Master’s degree from top-tier program in public affairs, international development, business, law, or other relevant discipline.
- Significant experience (at least 5 years) in a high-performing, fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Experience working on Business and Human Rights issues, which could include consulting to companies on human rights, working in civil society organizations on Business and Human Rights, implementing human rights programs in the field, or undertaking and publishing significant research on Business and Human Rights Issues.
- Experience working with one of the priority industries listed above.
- Consulting experience and/or proven ability to perform the key functions of a consultant, including: developing and maintaining client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and managing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Significant experience working closely with senior clients.
- Well-developed leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to enhance the skills and effectiveness of other team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e. structured, concise, impactful).
- Willingness to undertake business travel (~ up to 25% time)
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, and/or other language skills are a plus.
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.
Job title: Human Rights Manager
Location: New York
Contract: Full time, permanent
Closing date: Rolling applcation