Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce)
Headquarters in Canada
Companhia Vale do Rio Doce acquired Inco in January 2007.
Victims of violence at Compañía Guatemalteca de Níquel mine ongoing efforts to obtain justice before Canadian & Guatemalan courts
Author: Sandra Cuffe, Mongabay.com (USA)
"Nickel Mine, Lead Bullets: Maya Q'eqchi' seek justice in Guatemala and Canada", 19 May 2015....
Revelations of Industrial Espionage Expose Underbelly of Canadian Support for Mining Companies [Brazil]
Author: MiningWatch Canada
News that the Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) has been spying on Brazil’s Mines Ministry starts to expose the extent to which the Canadian government is willing to go in the corporate interest…Glenn Greenwald’s ongoing reporting…has...
- Related stories: Brazil: Reports highlight role of Canadian govt. in espionage “on behalf” of Canadian mining firms operating in Brazil
- Related companies: Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Belo Sun Eldorado Gold Falconbridge (now part of Glencore) Glencore IamGold Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) Kinross Gold Rio Tinto Alcan (part of Rio Tinto) Teck Resources Vale Yamana Gold
[full audio refers to allegations of displacement, rape, violence. Also refers to Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce), Skye Resources (part of HudBay)]
Author: Sandra Cuffe, Rights Action
The indigenous Q’eqchi’ community of Barrio Revolucion was among the six groups evicted during three rounds of forced evictions in November 2006 and January 2007...mining company Skye Resources, which acquired the controversial property rights granted...
[PDF] full report: "World Investment Report - Transnational Corporations, Extractive Industries and Development"
Author: UN Conference on Trade & Development (UNCTAD)
The World Investment Report 2007 focuses on the role of transnational corporations in extractive industries... Transnational corporations can bring in the finance and management skills [poor] economies need... But as we know, the extraction of natural...
- Related stories: UNCTAD 2007 World Investment Report focuses on extractive firms' impacts on development
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Extractives, including oil and mines Latin American region
- Related companies: A.P. Moller - Maersk Group Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold BCL BHP Billiton BP Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Codelco Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (now Vale) ConocoPhillips De Beers (part of Anglo American) Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.) Eni Equinor (formerly Statoil) ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Gazprom Glencore Gold Fields Grupo México Harmony Gold Impala Platinum Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) INPEX Kelian Equatorial Mining (part of Rio Tinto) Lukoil Newmont Goldcorp Norilsk Nickel Norsk Hydro ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Petrobras PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Petronas Phelps Dodge (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Sinopec Sonatrach Tatneft Teck Resources Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Xstrata (part of Glencore)
...la [siguiente] declaración conc[ierne] los impactos de la industria minera sobre el medio ambiente, sobre los derechos humanos y los derechos indígenas, emitida en paralelo al evento «International Convention, Trade Show & Investors Exchange -...
Author: Grahame Russell, Upside Down World [USA]
...Jose Chocoj Pan...was severely beaten by the Guatemalan National Police (PNC) and left for dead in a forest near the Skye Resources mining company...Over 90% of the population of El Estor are Q’eqchi’...On September 19, 2006, Jose went with his...
- Related stories: Guatemala: Police evict Q’eqchi’ families protesting against Skye Resources & badly beat one man - article alleges Skye "refuses to negotiate with communities"
- Related companies: Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (now Vale) Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) Skye Resources (part of HudBay)
Author: Lee Berthiaume, Embassy [Canada]
As the world's mining powerhouse, Canada has a great deal riding on the results of a public consultation reviewing the social responsibilities of the country's mining companies to communities in the developing world. That was the message [of] John...