India: Seven dead in an illegal Delhi factory blast as owner put pressure on workers and machines

Author: Shiv Sunny, Hindustan Times, India, Published on: 7 January 2019

"Moti Nagar blast: Owner put pressure on workers, machines: Kin", 5 January 2019

The death toll in the factory blast-cum-collapse at a ceiling fan factory in west Delhi’s Moti Nagar reached seven on Friday [4 January] even as relatives of some victims accused the owner of speeding up production without caring about the safety of workers and the capacity of the machines. The owner...was among eight people hospitalised after getting trapped under the debris of the crumbling factory that police and civic officers said was operating illegally in a residential neighbourhood...

The police have for now registered a first information report (FIR) for causing death due to negligence, which attracts a maximum prison term of three years...Relatives of the dead accuse the factory owner of compelling the workers to work for nearly 15 hours in a day...Though police said there was no evidence so far to suggest children were being employed at the factory, they would look into these aspects too as local residents complained of it...

Read the full post here