Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in China
Published on 26 November 2019, the third iteration of BankTrack's Human Rights Benchmark assesses 50 of the largest global banks on their progress towards implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs). It finds that nearly...
China exports coal-related equipment and technology to foreign countries while turning to renewable energy domestically, critic says
Author: Dana Ullman, Foreign Policy
“When Coal Comes to Paradise”, 9 June 2019...
- Related stories: Kenya: Lamu economy including fishing, tourism & agriculture threatened if Amu Power gets approval to establish coal plant, includes company response
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: Agricultural Bank of China Amu Power Bank of China China Construction Bank China Huadian General Electric Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
Latin America: Chinese “Belt and Road” initiative lands in this region to finance and develop infrastructure
While in a first Chinese Dialogue article, progress in investments in infrastructure and other sectors by Chinese State-owned companies are highlighted, NGOs present their allegations on threats to indigenous peoples and local leader associated to...
[Includes responses by BNP Parbias, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Royal Bank of Canda, Morgan Stanley & Toronto-Dominion Bank]
Author: Fiona Harvey, The Guardian (UK)
Some of the world's top banks are continuing to lend tens of billions for extracting the most carbon-intensive fossil fuels, according to a report of top lenders [by Rainforest Action Network, Banktrack, Sierra Club, Oilchange International.]...The...
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation
- Related companies: Agricultural Bank of China ANZ Bank Bank of America Bank of China Bank of Montreal Bank of Nova Scotia Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (part of Mitsubishi UFJ) Barclays BNP Paribas Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) China Construction Bank Citigroup Commonwealth Bank Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse Deutsche Bank Goldman Sachs HSBC Industrial & Commercial Bank of China ING Bank JPMorgan Chase Mizuho Financial Group Morgan Stanley National Australia Bank Natixis PNC Financial Services Royal Bank of Canada Royal Bank of Scotland Santander SMBC Nikko Securities Société Générale Standard Chartered Toronto-Dominion Bank UBS UniCredit Bulbank Wells Fargo Westpac
Banks loan billions to oil firms allegedly exporting low-grade fuel high in pollutants, says briefing
A new BankTrack briefing raises questions about how banks are conducting human rights due diligence. In response to research by Swiss NGO Public Eye accusing Switzerland-based oil trading companies of selling blends of low-grade fuel high in pollutants...
BankTrack report finds banks not yet living up to human rights obligations under UN Guiding Principles
In December 2014 BankTrack released a new report titled "Banking with Principles?". The report assesses 32 of the largest global banks against the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. Banks were assigned a score of between 0 and 12 dep...
Author: Xan Rice, Financial Times
[T]he Gibe III dam...[in Ethiopia] will be the highest in Africa...[and] one of the most controversial...[I]t offers proof of China’s ever-increasing contribution to Africa’s development, or evidence of Beijing’s willingness to compromise on...