Instagram (part of Facebook)
Headquarters in USA
Facebook, among other social media, reportedly works with WHO to fight coronavirus "infodemic" and curb misinformation
Author: CNN Business
“How health officials and social media are teaming up to fight the coronavirus 'infodemic'”, 11 March 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Surveillance, censorship & privacy
- Related companies: Facebook Instagram (part of Facebook) Twitter
Author: Eliska Pirkova, Access Now
"Automation and illegal content: can we rely on machines making decisions for us?", 17 February 2020...
"Facebook suspends fake accounts for meddling in 8 African countries," 31 October 2019....
Author: Owen Pinnell & Jess Kelly, BBC
"Slave markets found on Instagram and other apps," 31 Oct 2019...
Author: Pichayada Promchertchoo, Channel News Asia (Manila)
"Kidney for sale: How organs can be bought via social media in the Philippines", 20 Oct 2019...
Facebook's plan to add end-to-end encryption to its messaging services receives mixed responses from govts. & civil society
Facebook announced that it would add end-to-end encryption to all of its messaging services in an effort to better protect the privacy of its users. The announcement was supported by many human rights NGOs, noting the need to protect the right to...
Singapore: 'Fake News' law grants temporary exemptions so tech companies can implement compliance measures
Author: Prinyaka Boghani, S&P Global
"Google, Facebook given breathing room as Singapore enacts 'fake news' law," 03 October 2019...
Facebook recording of user audio prompts EU privacy regulator to investigate company's handling of personal data
Author: Thomson Reuters via CBC
"Facebook recording of user audio prompts probe from EU privacy regulator", 14 August 2019...
- Related stories: General Data Protection Regulation: Issues of compliance and non-compliance
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Instagram (part of Facebook) Microsoft Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
USA: 8chan releases statement deflecting blame for platform's alleged role in disseminating hate speech
Author: Julia Carrie Wong, The Guardian
"8chan: owner of extremist site lashes out as scrutiny intensifies", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related stories: USA: Internet companies cut off service to 8chan after hateful content was posted by perpetrator of mass shooting in advance of attack
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Cloudflare Facebook Instagram (part of Facebook)
Author: Tony Romm, The Washington Post
"U.S. government issues stunning rebuke, historic $5 billion fine against Facebook for repeated privacy violations"...