Value Added in Africa
- Location: Dublin
- Rolling application
Value Added in Africa
Founded in 2008, Value Added in Africa is a social enterprise, based in Ireland and the UK, dedicated to supporting Sub-Saharan African companies producing retail products, to gain access to the Irish, UK and European markets. Acting as a trade facilitator, our core activities consist of supporting African producers to become market-ready and promoting their products in the target markets. We also specialise in providing sourcing and logistics support to traders in the UK and Ireland.
Our intern program allows talented individuals to join VAA for a set period of time and provides them with an exciting opportunity to learn, grown and develop in a small byt innovative and pro-active organisation. The successful candidate will gain valuable practical experience, while working alongside talented professionals in VAA, making a difference in Africa’s economic future.
VAA Internships have been designed specifically to provide the Intern with an opportunity to work and gain knowledge in the field of ethical trade, and to become familiar with the development sector in Ireland. It will involve a blend of international development knowledge and business skills and requires an ability to work on your own initiative.
You will work as part of the VAA team: looking for high quality, certified, African made products in East Africa; liaising with the African companies to develop company profiles about them and their products; building presentation material to showcase the best African finished products to buyers.
The role is for 20 hours per week, on a voluntary basis with a small daily stipend for lunch and travel expenses.
Below are some examples of likely responsibilities:
- Get to know and understand the nature of our work and mission – and blog on issues related to our work.
- Desk based research of products available in Africa
- Learn about the value chains of our focus sectors; tea, coffee and garments
- Research the logistics of delivering product from Africa onto European retail shelves
- Carry out market research/analysis of the European markets where VAA aims to sell its target products, e.g roasted coffee, tea bags, cotton garments
- Support African producers in the process of international trading
- Support the organization in its fundraising and awareness-raising events
- Such other tasks as may be agreed with VAA.
Skills and Experience:
- articulate, well organised and diplomatic
- problem-solver, can think on their feet and work independently.
- knowledge of international development and/or ethical trade
- experience/training in a business discipline would be an added advantage.
- interest or knowledge of value chains would be beneficial especially the value chains for tea, coffee or cotton, but is not essential.
A flexible role, which can be adapted to your particular expertise, this is an interesting post for someone with a focus in any of the following areas: Marketing (especially Digital) and PR, Communications, Business Development, Repsonsible Supply Chain Management, Design (Product/Graphic).
How we will support you:
You will be a full member of the staff team at VAA.
The Internship is designed to give you experience in a number of areas of the organisation’s work and exposure to the development sector in Ireland.
At the outset we shall jointly agree a plan for your learning during the Internship. This shall be reviewed each month.
Please send a CV and letter of motivation to:
Claire Lynch, Programme and Sourcing Manager, Value Added In Africa.