Internship at Friends of the Earth
Full time and working in the FoEE office in Brussels
Friends of the Earth campaigns for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. It unites more than 31 national organisations with thousands of local groups and is part of the world's largest grassroots environmental network, Friends of the Earth International. Please see our homepage for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the leading green NGOs in Brussels and to be part of a vibrant network of national member organisations.
The economic justice team at Friends of the Earth Europe works in several areas: corporate accountability, trade, landgrabbing, financial and extractive industries, transparency and lobby regulation.
Reporting to the economic justice coordinator, you will be assisting and working alongside the other members of the team.
Main topics of the Economic Justice campaign:
• Expose the negative impacts of large European companies and financial institu-tions on local communities and the environment, specifically in relation to land-grabbing and extractive industries;
• Expose and challenge the lack of transparency, corporate capture and harmful proposals in the EU-US trade negotiations;
• Expose deceptive cases of corporate influence in the European Union and advo-cate for more transparent lobbying and stricter ethics regulation;
• Address the increasing power of multinationals at the national and international level, specifically around their lobby activities in Brussels;
• Support local communities in dealing with multinationals;
• Expose cases of greenwash and scandals related to conflicts of interest.
Goals and Responsibilities of the position include:
• Monitor EU policy developments relevant to the corporate campaign;
• Organise internal and external events (debates, workshops etc.);
• Conduct research on the relevant aspects of the campaign;
• Organize and distribute relevant information to member groups and the wider NGO network;
• Produce materials for the Friends of the Earth Europe website and social media;
• Attend Brussels-based and if possible international events on the topic;
• Support the daily work of the campaign.
Applicants should demonstrate the following attributes:
• Strong organisational and time management skills;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to work independently and take the initiative on projects;
• Good research and analytical skills;
• Ability to work under pressure and to face unexpected situations;
• High level of English (written and oral);
• Experience as social/environmental activist or within an NGO;
• High level of IT literacy (Microsoft Office/Excel – Photoshop is a plus).
The following attributes are also desirable (but not essential):
• Knowledge of and/or experience on international trade and/or international law and/or financial institutions (mostly private banks and/or pension funds);
• Knowledge and/or experience of the European institutions;
• Knowledge of another EU language other than English.
The intern will be based in our office in Brussels, for 6 months (full-time, 5 days a week). The working language at FoEE is English.
FoEE offers a highly motivating working environment in an international NGO and office located in an environmentally friendly NGO building.
Starting date: January 2015 (depending on availability)
Remuneration: 800 euro/month
Do you feel you meet our criteria, and feel inspired by the objectives and challenges of the position?
Then please send an email with an attached CV and a concise letter explaining your background and your motivation to:
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
Interviews will be conducted in English in Brussels or via Skype (most probably during week 8-12 December).