You are being redirected to the story the piece of content is found in so you can read it in context. Please click the following link if you are not automatically redirected within a couple seconds:
Intl. Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) World Congress concludes, Sharan Burrow re-elected as General Secretary
Author: International Trade Union Confederation, Published on: 7 December 2018
"THE 4TH ITUC WORLD CONGRESS CONCLUDED IN COPENHAGEN TODAY WITH THE RE-ELECTION OF SHARAN BURROW AS GENERAL SECRETARY OF THE 207 MILLION-MEMBER MOVEMENT", 7 December 2018
...Two candidates, Susanna Camusso and Sharan Burrow, were nominated for the position of General Secretary and Burrow was elected by a close margin.
Five urgent resolutions were passed calling for:
- Human rights and peace in Colombia;
- Solidarity with workers and students in Iran;
- Labour law reforms in Hungary;
- Labour rights and solidarity with independent trade unions in Kazakhstan;
- Freedom for Lula.
...At the conclusion of the World Congress, unions committed to:
- Organise, to create a 250 million member ITUC over the next four years, to build workers’ power;
- A new social contract, where businesses including platform businesses are made to take responsibility for their workers, and a UN Business and Human Rights Treaty;
- A Just Transition to sustainable economies to tackle climate change and keep temperature rises to 1.5 degrees or less;
- Reverse the trend of low wage growth and rising inequality through collective bargaining, increased minimum wages and social protection; and,
- Close the gender pay gap, fight discrimination and racism and take forward action against gender based violence.
...The statement adopted by the ITUC World Congress included four pillars – on peace democracy and rights, regulating economic power, global shifts - just transitions and equality, which set out the ITUC agenda for the next four years....