Member of UN Global Compact
Investec website: www.investec.com
Global Witness report alleges EU investors help bankroll human rights & environmental abuses; incl. co responses
On 6 September 2018, Global Witness published a new briefing paper on the role that EU-based investors have played in supporting projects linked to human rights abuses, land grabs and large-scale environmental destruction. The report argues that while...
Busines & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Investec to respond to the allegations raised by War on Want. Investec did not respond.
- Related stories: NGO: British financial institutions complicit in Israeli war crimes
- This is a non response from the following companies: Investec
In July 2017, War on Want (WoW) published a report claiming that UK-based banks and investment companies are complicit in Israeli war crimes against Palestinians. The financial institutions cited in the report have allegedly invested in defence...
South African banks fund mining projects in southern Africa that raise issues over social, environmental, human rights impacts, says new report
Southern Africa Resource Watch, in announcing its report, South African Banks Footprint in SADC Mining Projects, said:...
Author: Investec (South Africa)
Some of the deals mentioned in this report are more than 10 years old. We believe that the commitment as a banking sector to adhering to ESG principles in general has been greatly improved over the past decade. Furthermore, there is a sector...
- Related stories: South African banks fund mining projects in southern Africa that raise issues over social, environmental human rights impacts, says new report
- This is a response from the following companies: Investec
Africa: Academic urges economic justice actors to fight both illegal and licit financial flows, adopt more nuanced approach
Author: Patrick Bond, University of Kwazulu Natal in Pambazuka News (Africa)
'Retreat of foreign investment from Africa means less looting', 2 Sep 2015:…[A] Zimbabwe NGO conference…was dedicated to fighting illegal capital flight from across the African continent…[Will] the region’s…economic-justice NGOs take the next step and...
- Related companies: Anglo American Barclays BHP Billiton British American Tobacco De Beers Dimension Data FirstRand Group Investec Liberty Life Lonmin Mondi (part of Anglo American) MTN Naspers Group Nedbank Old Mutual SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Sasol Standard Bank Vale Vedanta Resources Vodacom
Author: Natalie Greve, Engineering News [So. Africa]
Twelve South African companies had voluntarily committed to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), in the 2013 financial year to date, the National Business Initiative (NBI) said…The twelve signatories were Transnet, Allegiance Air, Oceana Group,...
Author: Simon Clark, Bloomberg
For women in emerging markets, cell phones can be life changing, offering banking services to free them from the dangers of carrying cash, texting when the communal water tap will open or sending instructions in prenatal care. For the wireless...
Author: Tumi Makgetla, Mail & Guardian [So. Africa]
Racism in the workplace continues to dog corporate South Africa, according to union leaders and black professionals...About 50% of the grievances that banking union Sasbo receives from its members concern racial discrimination, said Sasbo's deputy...
- Related companies: Investec