Explore categories within this category
- Arbitrary detention
- Beatings & violence
- Death penalty
- Death threats
- Denial of freedom of expression
- Denial of freedom of movement
- Human trafficking
- Intimidation & threats
- Rape & sexual abuse
- Sexual harassment
- Torture & ill-treatment
- Unfair trial
Related stories and components
Author: Dragoș Pîslaru, EURACTIV (Belgium)
Fair treatment of Europe’s cross-border workers, 23 June 2020...
Indonesia: Civil society organisations denounce alleged intentional destruction of community food resources by pulpwood company
Author: Eyes on the Forest News
'Civil Society Open Letter About APP’s Recurrent Violation of Farmers’ Land Rights in Jambi, Indonesia', June 3, 2020...
- Related stories: Indonesia: Indigenous farmer released under Covid-19 assimilation programme, yet land disputes between indigenous community & paper giant continue
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Sinar Mas Group Wira Karya Sakti (WKS)
Malaysia: Top Glove denies migrant workers producing PPE are exposed to abusive labour practices & COVID-19 risk; Incl. responses from auditing firms
In June 2020, a Channel 4 investigation exposed evidence of migrant worker exploitation – including low wages, excessive overtime, illegal deductions from workers’ salaries, extortionate recruitment fees, poor living conditions and lack of social dist...
Author: New York Times
"Esclavos no tan modernos" - 2 de junio de 2020...
Canadian court denies Hudbay's request to block Guatemalan plaintiffs from amending lawsuit to include further details of rapes allegedly committed by security personnel
Author: Choc versus Hudbay
"Choc v. HudBay Minerals Inc. & Caal v. HudBay Minerals Inc," Jan 2020...
UK: Rise in Amazon warehouse worker accidents prompts calls for parliamentary inquiry; Amazon downplays safety concerns
Author: Rob Davies, The Guardian
"Concerns over safety at Amazon warehouses as accident reports rise", 17 Febuary 2020...
New Intl. Commission of Jurists guidance on corporate accountability for economic, social & cultural rights' abuses in conflict & transition
Author: International Commission of Jurists
"Corporate Accountability for Abuses of Economic, Social & Cultural Rights in Conflict and Transition – ICJ new guide", 17 Feb 2020...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
India: Seven workers killed in fire at denim factory supplying to major intl. brands; Includes company comments
At least seven workers have been killed in a factory fire at Nandan Denim - India's largest denim supplier - which began on 8 February 2020. Police investigators said the factory had violated multiple regulations and the owner, a manager and a fire...
Author: Max Avary & Richard Finney, Radio Free Asia
"Lao Workers Are Abused at a Chinese Factory in Luang Prabang", 17 January 2020...
- Related stories: Laos: Workers at Chinese-owned factory complain of physical abuse & unfair labour practices
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas