International standards & introductory material on arbitrary detention: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Thailand: Authorities should investigate abduction of community rights activist, says Human Rights Watch
Author: Human Rights Watch
"Thailand: Investigate Activists Abduction in Phatthalung," 15 August 2019...
Central America: Report highlights attacks on union activists in Guatemala and Honduras in 2018 incl. murder, detention and harassment
Author: Tula Connell, Solidarity Center
"Report: Unionists Face Death, Attacks in Central America", 7 August 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders
Author: China Human Rights Defenders (US)
“China Must Release Detained Labor Rights Advocates”, 25 July 2019...
- Related stories: China: About 50 labour activists detained by authorities, 7 criminally detained among which 5 were charged & sentenced China: Workers at Shenzhen Jasic Technology factory reportedly beaten and detained by police as they protest dismissal after attempting to set up union, company denies allegations
US govt. contractor Nakamoto Group allegedly overlooked abuse at detention centers; incl. co. statement
Author: Yuki Noguchi, NPR
"'No Meaningful Oversight': ICE Contractor Overlooked Problems At Detention Centers", 17 July 2019...
- Related stories: USA: Govt. contractors accused of profiting from separation & detention of migrant & asylum seeking families
- Related companies: CoreCivic GEO Group Nakamoto Group
“Carta con firmas de mas de 65 organizaciones guatemaltecas e internacionales presentado al Fiscal General exigiendo protección para abogado Xinca y comunidades opuestos a la mina Escobal”, 11 de julio de 2019...
Author: La Izquierda Diario (México)
“Liberan a la activista Silvia Reséndiz y a sus dos nietos”, 1 de julio de 2019...
- Related companies: Constellation Brands
USA: Wayfair workers to walk out to protest management decision to supply detention centre; CEO rejects their plea
Author: Peter Cohan, Forbes
"3 Reasons To Sell Wayfair On Today's Employee Walkout", 26 Jun 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Wayfair
UN expert calls for moratorium on the sale, transfer & use of surveillance tools; cites lack of human rights-compliant regulatory frameworks
The United Nations Special Rapporteur on freedom of opinion and expression, David Kaye, called for an immediate moratorium on the sale, transfer and use of surveillance technology until human rights-compliant regulatory frameworks are in place. In a...