International standards & introductory material on genocide: click here
Articles & reports from a wide range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Author: Theresa Harris, OpenGlobalRights
Human rights practitioners have become increasingly savvy about the ways geospatial technologies can help document violations in conflict zones that are difficult to reach, show chronological changes in landscapes, and corroborate witness testimony......
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights
Myanmar military were prime operatives behind systemic, highly secretive Facebook campaign that targeted the Rohingya and fueled genocide, report alleges
Author: Paul Mozur, New York Times
"Myanmar’s Military Said to Be Behind Facebook Campaign That Fueled Genocide"...
- Related companies: Facebook
EU to launch withdrawal process of trade preferences in Cambodia over rights concerns & warns Myanmar of potential similar action
The EU is launching the process to end Cambodia's duty-free access to the European Market for exports, and is considering suspending similar trading privileges in Myanmar for human rights abuses in Rakhine state.
EU launches withdrawal process of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms trade preferences; announces high-level mission to Myanmar within framework of potential withdrawal
Author: Cecilia Malmström, European Commissioner for Trade
"On Myanmar and Cambodia"...
Report says actions of military, in particular in the context of “clearance operations” in northern Rakhine, have so seriously violated international law that any engagement in any form with the military and its businesses is indefensible until and...
“Entre coacción y colaboración: Verdad judicial, actores económicos y conflicto armado en Colombia” - 8 de agosto de 2018...
- Related stories: Colombia: Informe de ONG señala que intereses empresariales estarían desplazando y acaparando tierras en la Orinoquía Informe de Banktrack explora las responsabilidades de la banca por presunta contribución de sus fondos a violaciones de derechos humanos
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias legales Últimas noticias sobre recursos naturales
- This is a response from the following companies: Banacol Chiquita Del Monte Foods Drummond Ecopetrol LafargeHolcim Organización Ardila Lülle Poligrow Postobón (part of Organización Ardila Lülle)
Commentary on Facebook's legal responsibility to avoid enabling human rights abuses via its platform; incl. co comments
Author: Ingrid Burrington, The Atlantic
"Could Facebook be tried for human-rights abuses?", 20 Dec 2017...
- Related companies: Facebook
Recent lawsuits contribute to emerging norm of corporate accountability for international crimes, says scholar
Author: Dieneke de Vos, on Just Security
" Corporate Criminal Accountability for International Crimes ", 30 Nov 2017...
Myanmar: Chevron says it will push for human rights following criticism over its partnership with govt.
Author: Faarea Masud, BBC World Service
"Chevron says it will push for Myanmar human rights", November 2017...
- Related stories: Myanmar: Business & investor responses to the Rohingya crisis
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: Chevron Total