International standards on slavery: click here
Related stories and components
Author: Hult International Business School and Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI)
Building on research into corporate responses to address modern slavery carried out in 2015, the Ethical Trading Initiative and Hult International Business School are partnering again to lead research on the critical role of corporate leadership in...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
Author: Castan Centre for Human Rights Law, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, United Nations Global Compact
This publication provides company managers and staff with essential knowledge of what human rights are and how they are relevant for business. It also outlines some key elements of what it means to respect and support human rights in practice. It is...
- Related in-depth areas: Guidance & Tools Guidance on human rights policies Guidance tools for business Positive company initiatives
- Related companies: 7-Eleven Abercrombie & Fitch Academi (formerly Blackwater) adidas Alphabet Amalgamated Bank Anjin (joint venture Anhui Foreign Economic Construction, Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation & Govt. of Zimbabwe) Barneys Beowulf Mining Boeing Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield Services) Century Miracle Jordan Chalco (Aluminum Corporation of China) Chiquita Facebook First Quantum Minerals Ford Forever 21 Foxconn (part of Hon Hai) GEO Group Google (part of Alphabet) Hershey Hon Hai Hospira Hudbay Minerals Jeppesen (part of Boeing) Kroger L'Oreal LafargeHolcim Lonmin Lundbeck Lush Mars Microsoft Mylan Laboratories Nestlé Newmont Goldcorp PepsiCo Pfizer Qatar Airways Rio Tinto Skanska Standard Chartered Tahoe Resources (part of Pan American Silver) Telenor Tesco Unilever Vedanta Resources Vodafone
India: Tea companies asked to raise wages & stop litigation blocking minimum wage revisions, in letter from civil society groups
Author: Amnesty International, CORE Coalition, Share Action, Traidcraft & others (see letter for complete list of NGOs)
“Open letter to brands and retailers purchasing Assam tea attending the TEAM UP 2016 conference on tea and sustainability,” 14 Jun 2016...
Author: Lyndsay McGregor, Sourcing Journal (USA)
Slavery is still rife in the apparel industry, but new legislation in the U.K. puts the onus on big companies to put an end to forced labor or risk losing out on business...The Modern Slavery Act, which came into effect on Apr. 1, mandates that all...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence
- Related companies: Primark (part of Associated British Foods)
On 22 March 2016, the Sedex Associate Auditor Group released guidance on how auditors can detect indicators of forced labour. The guidance, co-authored by Marianne Voss, Sedex's stakeholder executive and David Camp, Stronger Together's programme coor...
Author: Leeta-Rose Ballester, San Jose Mercury-News (USA)
Trafficking victims can be found working in restaurants, nail salons, nursing homes or food trucks. They can be seen peddling wares or cleaning buildings. Many are forced into prostitution, pornography or exotic dancing... Experts surmise more men and...
Author: Ресурсный центр по вопросам бизнеса и прав человека
Данный брифинг освещает ключевые вопросы и события в Восточной Европе и Центральной Азии, связанные с правами человека в контексте бизнеса в период с мая 2014 года по декабрь 2015 года. В нем представлены примеры положительных и негативных воздействий...
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders
- Related companies: Alphabet Arcelor Mittal Azercell (part of TeliaSonera) BP Centerra Gold Dundee Precious Metals Facebook Gazprom Google (part of Alphabet) Karachaganak Petroleum Operating (KPO) McDonald's Nairit Plant Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Swatch TeliaSonera YouTube (part of Alphabet)
Author: Editors: Jena Martin, West Virginia University & Karen E. Bravo, Indiana Univ.
The adoption of the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights in 2011 marked a watershed moment, establishing the first global standards for preventing human rights abuses by business. In light of this paradigm shift, The Business...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs
Author: Murillo Pereira, Envolverde/Instituto Ethos (Brazil)
“CONFERÊNCIA ETHOS 360°-Não há empresa sustentável sem trabalho decente - O Brasil foi o último dos países das Américas a abolir a escravidão, no entanto a herança maldita de trabalhadores submetidos pela força permanece.”, 25 de setembro de 2015 ...A...
- Related companies: Cargill