Linking development & human rights
International standards & introductory material on linking development & human rights: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Climate activists say new carbon tax response falls short of So. Africa's 2015 Paris Agreement targets
Author: Mfuneko Toyana, Reuters
‘South African carbon tax finally becomes law’ 26 May 2019...
Author: Igoniko Oduma, Independent Newspaper (Nigeria)
‘Bayelsa Suffering Environmental Genocide –Archbishop Of York’ 27 May 2019...
So. Africa: Minister backs down on move to double amount of harmful sulphur dioxide industries can lawfully emit
Author: Melanie Gosling, Fin24 (So. Africa)
‘Mokonyane backs down on controversial pollution law - for now’ 23 May 2019...
Author: Anita Chepkoech, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Radical proposals to save Kenya’s ailing agriculture"...
Zambia: Swedwatch report alleges mining related pollution causing food insecurities and compromising livelihoods
'Copper with a cost- Human rights and environmental risks in the mineral supply chains of ICT: A case study from Zambia', May 2019...
- Related stories: Zambia: Report alleges mining related pollution causing food insecurities and compromising livelihoods, includes FQM’s comments; Vedanta and KCM did not respond
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: First Quantum Minerals Konkola Copper Mines (joint venture Vedanta Resources, Zambia Copper Investments & ZCCM Investments)
Inclusive Development Intl. publishes second edition of "Safeguarding People and Environment in Chinese Investments" guide
Author: Inclusive Development International
“New Release: Second Edition of Safeguarding People and the Environment in Chinese Investments”, 21 May 2019...
Nigeria: CSOs urge govt. to declare the Niger Delta as an ecological emergency to support restoration of livelihoods compromised by oil pollution
Author: Emmanuel Okogba, Vanguard (Nigeria)
‘Declare ecological emergency in N-Delta, OWN tasks FG’ 20 May 2019...
Call for input on Global Reporting Initiative's new draft of human rights reporting standards (deadline: 9 June)
Author: Global Reporting Initiative
Give your feedback on GRI’s sustainability reporting standards through this online survey (until 9 Jun)... The Global Sustainability Standards Board (GSSB), GRI’s independent standard setting body, has initiated a project to review GRI’s universal...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs
Diamond Producers Association's report says its members positively impact local communities & working to minimize negative environmental impacts
Author: Cision PR Newswire, Diamond Producers Association (UK)
‘First-Ever Comprehensive Report on the Reality of Modern Diamond Mining Reveals its Impact on Local Communities, Challenges Stereotypes and Identifies Areas for Further Improvement’ 2 May 2019...
Cambodia: 20 major brands sourcing from Cambodia send a joint letter to PM to express their concerns about labor and human rights
Author: Fair Labor Association
"20 companies sourcing from Cambodia express concerns about labor and human rights", 2 May 2019...
- Related stories: Cambodia: Leading brands suggest labour reforms to the govt. after meeting on labour rights issues
- Related companies: adidas Callaway Golf Canadian Tire Esprit Fruit of the Loom (part of Berkshire Hathaway) Gap HEMA KiK Levi Strauss Mountain Equipment Co-op New Balance Nike O'Neill Odlo International PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Under Armour Vaude VF Corp W. L. Gore & Associates WE Fashion