International standards & introductory material on racial/ethnic/caste/origin discrimination: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
UN report on racial discrimination in emerging digital technologies prompts calls for structural interventions
In June 2020, the UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance released a report on racial discrimination in emerging digital technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI). A joint...
USA: Advocacy groups file civil rights complaint against JBS & Tyson Foods for failure to prevent Covid-19 outbreaks among employees
Author: Robert Klemko and Kimberly Kindy, Washington Post
"He fled the Congo to work in a U.S. meat plant. Then he — and hundreds of his co-workers — got the coronavirus," 6 August 2020 [Subscription required]...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response Latest Legal News
- Related companies: JBS Tyson
Author: Brut., France Télévisions
"VIDEO. Plusieurs entreprises textiles pointées pour leur lien avec le travail forcé des Ouïghours", 28 juillet 2020....
“Women Are Leading the Fight Against Coronavirus in Argentina's Vulnerable Communities” – 21 July 2020...
« 1 Produit en coton sur 5 dans le monde serait lie aux camps de travail pour Ouïghours en Chine » 23 juillet 2020...
Author: Anne-Catherine Husson-Traore, Novethic
« Ouïghours : les appels au boycott contre Nike et Appel pour travail forcé fissurent le mur du silence » 22 juillet 2020...
- Related stories: Chine : La pression monte contre les entreprises accusées de profiter du travail forcé des minorités du Nord-Ouest du pays
- Related companies: Apple Nike
Author: South China Morning Post (Hong Kong)
“Esquel Group, garment supplier to Tommy Hilfiger and Nike, says it’s seeking to overturn US sanction on its Xinjiang plant”, 21 July 2020...
- Related stories: China: 83 major brands implicated in report on forced labour of ethnic minorities from Xinjiang assigned to factories across provinces; Includes company responses China: Civil society organisations call on apparel brands & retailers to cut ties with suppliers allegedly using forced labour of ethnic minorities USA: Chinese firms and entities added to sanction lists over human rights abuses Show moreShow less
- Related companies: ELEVATE Esquel Nike Patagonia Tommy Hilfiger (part of PVH)
Sanctions on corporations can be used to curb abuse against ethnic minorities, says group of lawyers
Author: Helen Davidson, Guardian
"World is legally obliged to pressure China on Uighurs, leading lawyers say," 22 Jul 2020...
- Related stories: USA: Chinese firms and entities added to sanction lists over human rights abuses
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News