Explore categories within this category
- Environment: General
- Climate change
- Environmental discrimination
- Why environmental issues are human rights issues
Related stories and components
"Glencore has had a presence in Zambia since 2000, when we acquired a shareholding in Mopani Copper Mines (Mopani) through a competitive tender. This was part of a general privatisation of Zambian copper mining assets, supported by the World Bank. ...
- Related stories: Range of human rights abuses by extractive companies allegedly tied to European financial institutions: companies respond to Facing Finance report
- This is a response from the following companies: Glencore
Author: Radio Free Asia
"Paper Mill Asks For Time to Deal With Pollution in Laos' Savannakhet Province", 10 July 2018...
- Related companies: Sun Paper Group
Author: Paula Dear, Thomson Reuters Foundation
"Recycling rubbish into revenue - the scheme bringing hope to women in Jordan", 18 June 2018...
Cambodia: River ecosystems face 'stress' due to dam building, could hinder livelihood of 3.4 million people
Author: Phak Seangly, The Phnom Penh Post
"Dams threaten local basin: report", 11 May 2018...
Myanmar: Police detains two villagers seeking to block eviction on land claimed by China-operated copper mine
Author: Thet Su Aung, Radio Free Asia
"Two Detained in New Letpadaung Mine Protest in Myanmar", 29 March 2018...
PNG: Concerns raised about negative impacts of seabed mining; need for consultation with local landholders
A recent media report (linked below) cites Nautilus Minerals' proposed seabed mining activities in Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea, and refers to the potential negative impacts of seabed mining, including harm to tuna stocks, and the need for proper...
Indonesia: Activists protest against factory in Java due to pollution; seven protesters have been arrested for vandalism & defamation
Author: The Jakarta Post
A crowd of activists protested in front of the Energy Building...to demand that garment company PT Huddleston Indonesia, which occupies the 20th floor of the building, shut down operations of PT Rayon Utama Makmur (RUM) in Sukoharjo, Central Java....
Author: Amol Mehra & Camille Gervais, Intl. Corporate Accountability Roundtable
“Morality & the Market"...
- Related stories: CEO of Blackrock investment firm calls on companies to make positive contributions to society
- Related companies: Amazon.com Apple BlackRock Microsoft
Author: Katja Scherer, Süddeutsche Zeitung
"Der bittere Beigeschmack der Schokolade", 2 Jan 2018...