International standards & introductory material on indigenous peoples: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Author: JP Casey & Umar Ali, Mining Technology
With more than 60 minerals and metals currently being pulled from Canadian soil, the mining industry is a major contributor to the national economy... However, the rapid expansion of mining operations have introduced a number of problems... [including]...
Author: Freeport McMoRan
The PTFI project area is located where indigenous peoples of Papua hold customary land rights. Specifically, the Amungme in the highlands and the Kamoro in the coastal lowlands are considered traditional landowners of the area, along with the Dani,...
- Related stories: Indonesia: Freeport McMoRan's Grasberg mine impacts indigenous land rights, company response included
- This is a response from the following companies: Freeport-McMoRan
Indonesia: Freeport McMoRan's Grasberg mine impacts indigenous land rights, company response included
An article by Mongabay from 2017 alleges that PT Freeport Indonesia (PTFI) never compensated the Amungme and Kamoro people on the land where it operates its Grasberg gold and copper mine. The article also alleges that PTFI was using land in protected...
Author: Red Muqui (Perú)
[Excerpt translation from Spanish to English provided by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre]...
- Related stories: Peru: Local and traditional authorities of Cusco request derogation from State of Emergency due to conflict with mining company MMG Las Bambas
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: China Minmetals Las Bambas (part of MMG) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals)
Brazil: Third Intl. Forest Defenders Conference brings together defenders from 15 countries in Amazonia
"Frontline defenders who are risking their lives to protect forests, land, and water, united to share our stories and our strategies, 14th–18th october, in the heart of the struggle, Pará, Amazonia, Brazil", 19 Oct 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Australia: Traditional owners' native title claim upheld in landmark decision against mining company Fortescue Metals Group
Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) loses appeal from a Federal Court's judgment recognising the Yindjibarndi people's exclusive native title over an area of land that includes the company's Solomon Hub mine in Western Australia's Pilbara region. The...
Author: Mônica Nunes, Conexão Planeta (Brazil)
“Lideranças indígenas vão à Europa para denunciar o governo Bolsonaro”, 11 de outubro de 2019...