Free, prior & informed consent
International standards & introductory material on Free, Prior & Informed Consent: click here
Articles & reports from a range of sources are below.
Related stories and components
Liberia: Golden Veroleum quits certification body to protest handling of complaint for alleged failure to consult local community
"Liberia's biggest palm oil project quits eco-certification scheme"...
- Related in-depth areas: Land Rights & Displacements
Author: Global Witness (UK)
"At what cost?: Irresponsible business and the murder of land and environmental defenders in 2017"...
- Related stories: Deadliest year on record for land & environmental defenders: New Global Witness report says 207 activists killed in 2017
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Desarrollos Energéticos (DESA)
Peru: Civil society raises concerns over ongoing operations of Rio Blanco mine project despite referendum against it
Author: Peru Support Group
“Serious Concerns at the Rio Blanco mine” - 22 July 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Latest news on natural resources
- Related companies: Rio Blanco Copper (part of Xiamen Zijin Tongguan Investment Development Corporation, part of Zijin Mining Group, Tongling Non-Ferrous Metals Group Holding Co. Ltd. y Xiamen C&D Coperation Ltd.) Xiamen C & D Corp. (previously Xiamen Construction and Development Corp.) Zijin
So. Africa: How activist is leading her community's opposition to mining by Mineral Commodities; includes company's statement
Author: Jonathan Watts, The Guardian (UK)
""I thank God I am alive", standing firm against mineral extraction in South Africa"...
Columnist on why community consultation is essential for development projects; cites failed Buchanan Renewables' project in Liberia
Author: Rachel Cernansky, New York Times
"It Takes Consultation to Help a Village"...
- Related companies: Buchanan Renewables
Guatemala: Peaceful protest against cement plant was attacked by paramilitaries allegedly linked to Cementos Progreso; co. responds
Indigenous Kaqchikel community in San Juan Sacatepequez protested against the installation of a Cementos Progreso’s plant in their territory, because of environmental concerns. While having a peaceful protest, a group of paramilitaries opened fire...
Author: Sian Cowman, in Toward Freedom
...There are a series of externalized costs to [ConocoPhillips'] size and profits...They don't have a good safety record for their workers or the environment, with over $266 million in payouts through the courts due to environmental and safety...
"Goldcorp welcomes initiatives that seek to encourage continuous improvement in responsible mining practices, especially initiatives who do so by transparently comparing the policies and practices of large‐scale mining companies on a range of...
- Related stories: Range of human rights abuses by extractive companies allegedly tied to European financial institutions: companies respond to Facing Finance report
- This is a response from the following companies: Goldcorp