International standards on intellectual property: click here
Related stories and components
Author: Simeon Bennett and Tom Randall, Bloomberg Businessweek
Pharmaceutical companies, once blasted as uncaring or downright greedy for charging thousands of dollars for a year's worth of AIDS medicines like Viread in poor countries, lately have been slashing prices and licensing their drugs for free or nominal...
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This briefing highlights reports from a range of sources about how businesses have impacted human rights, positively and negatively, in South Asia over the past year (mid-2009 to mid-2010)....
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre launches first regional briefing – business & human rights in South Asia Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal)
- Related in-depth areas: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre appoints Dr. Harpreet Kaur as its South Asia Researcher & Representative
- Related companies: Bayer CropScience (part of Bayer) Defence Housing Authority (DHA) Garib & Garib
AIDS Activists Launch United Nations Complaint on Impact of Obama Administration Trade Policies on Access to Medicines
Author: Jennifer Flynn, Health GAP [USA]
...AIDS activists from the U.S., Africa, Asia, and Latin America filed a complaint against the United States with the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Right to Health. The complaint argues that the United States, working side by side with...
Author: Catherine Saez, Intellectual Property Watch
The 18th International AIDS conference opened...in Vienna on Sunday...The biennial conference...cover[s]...new drugs and therapies, universal access, the human rights dimension of the epidemic, including stigma and discrimination, but also the impact...
[PDF] MICROSOFT/IDLO [Intl. Development Law Organization] Partnership for Access to New Technologies: a Key Challenge for developing Countries
Author: Intl Development Law Organization
[O]ften developing countries do not have the necessary financial means to carry out the required Research and development activities, indispensable to generate innovation. The only solution is to import technologies from abroad, which in turns entails...
- Related stories: Microsoft partners with Intl. Development Law Organization to facilitate access to new technologies in developing countries
- Related companies: Microsoft
Author: Beverly Bell, Latin American Bureau
…"A new earthquake" is what peasant farmer leader Chavannes Jean-Baptiste of the Peasant Movement of Papay (MPP) called the news that Monsanto will be donating 60,000 seed sacks (475 tons) of hybrid corn seeds and vegetable seeds, some of them treated...
- Related stories: Haiti: Farmers reject seeds donated by Monsanto, due to threat to livelihoods
- Related companies: Monsanto
Novartis response to concerns raised by Doctors Without Borders regarding access to medicines in India
- Related stories: India: Doctors Without Borders says pharmaceutical firms "chipping away" at laws that protect access to medicines
- This is a response from the following companies: Novartis
Author: Denis G. Arnold, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, in Business Ethics Quarterly
[T]he United Nations Special Representative on the issue of Human Rights and Transnational Corporations has emphasized a tripartite framework regarding business and human rights that includes the state “duty to protect,” the TNC “responsibility to...
- Related in-depth areas: UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
Author: Rupali Mukherjee, Times of India
In a relief to generic companies and promoting consumers' access to affordable treatment, the Delhi high court dismissed an appeal by...Bayer Corporation, which sought patent linkage — linking regulatory approval of generic medicines with their patent...
- Related stories: India: Court rejects Bayer's appeal for protections for its cancer drug against generic competitors
- Related companies: Bayer