Fair Labor Association
Related stories and components
Author: Keith Bradsher & David Barboza, New York Times
Hewlett-Packard...is imposing new limits on the employment of students and temporary agency workers...Many factories in China have long relied on...students...Students complain of being ordered by school administrators to put in very long hours...at...
Author: Kathrin Hille & Rahul Jacob, Financial Times
Foxconn [part of Hon Hai]…is preparing genuinely representative labour union elections…in China…the first such exercise at a large company in China, where labour unions have traditionally been controlled by management and local government…The…company...
Our Supplier Responsibility Progress Report provides the results of our 2012 audits, including the work we’re doing to correct issues and improve our suppliers’ performance.
- Related stories: Apple says it found 11 facilities across its supply chain using child labour last year Online discussion on how companies can address potential human rights violations (31 Jan)
- Related in-depth areas: China Labor Watch submission to UN Working Group on business & human rights Company responses/non-responses re impacts of planned InfraVest wind turbines in Yuanli, Taiwan
- Related companies: Foxconn (part of Hon Hai) Hon Hai
From 18-19 October 2012, Shift held the second in a series of workshops with business leaders...The workshops form part of Shift’s Business Learning Program, aimed at supporting the implementation by companies of the UN Guiding Principles on Business...
[PDF] Summary of discussions of the Forum on Business and Human Rights, prepared by the Chairperson, John Ruggie
Author: Prepared by the Chairperson, John Ruggie
The present document provides a summary of the discussions of the first annual Forum on Business and Human Rights, held on 4 and 5 December 2012. Due to the word limit of the document and the scale of the event (21 substantive sessions), this summary...
- Related stories: Summary of discussions of Forum on Business and Human Rights
- Related in-depth areas: Videos & text of presentations & discussions - UN Forum on Business and Human Rights 2012
- Related companies: ABB Aboitiz Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Flextronics Gazprom Hitachi Jindal Microsoft Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Nedbank Rio Tinto Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell Total UBS Vale Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Arvind Ganesan, Human Rights Watch, on World Economic Forum Blog
A decade ago, few companies recognized their human rights responsibilities, but today no sophisticated company denies them. In the last year, [these responsibilities]…were recognized by the United Nations when it approved the UN Guiding Principles on...
- Related in-depth areas: 2013
Author: Keith Bradsher & Charles Duhigg, New York Times
[I]n March…a critical meeting had occurred between Foxconn’s top executives and a high-ranking Apple official. The companies had committed themselves to a series of wide-ranging reforms. Foxconn, China’s largest private employer, pledged to sharply...
Author: New York Times
The New York Times invited eight experts...to comment on "The Human Cost of Cheap Clothing" and issues of workplace safety in global supply chains...[following]...factory fires in Pakistan and Bangladesh [that] killed more than 400 people. ...