Fair Labor Association
Related stories and components
The 2013 Top Ten List of Business and Human Rights Issues was published by the Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB) on International Human Rights Day, 10 December 2012
Author: Institute for Human Rights and Business
1. Embedding respect for human rights across all business relationships...2. Expanding action to combat forced labour and human trafficking...3. Tackling challenges of dual-use internet-based technologies that may undermine privacy rights and freedom...
- Related stories: Institute for Human Rights and Business publishes 4th annual list of business & human rights issues
- Related companies: Apple Foxconn (part of Hon Hai) Hon Hai
Author: Renee Dudley & Arun Devnath, Bloomberg
At a meeting convened in 2011 to boost safety at Bangladesh garment factories, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. made a call: paying suppliers more to help them upgrade their manufacturing facilities was too costly. The...meeting...was attended by more than a...
Author: HumanRights.Gov [USA]
[W]e’re focused on...what...the U.S. government [should] be doing...Congress has enacted the Dodd-Frank Bill which now requires reporting by U.S. companies doing business in the DRC. We have now regulations, a reporting requirement for companies doing...
- Related in-depth areas: UN Forum on Business & Human Rights 2012 - Coverage & commentaries
Author: Louise Lucas, Financial Times
The growing importance of farming to the likes of Nestlé…or…McDonald’s and Starbucks, is evident in a host of initiatives, from model farms…to deals with farming co-operatives in Africa and Brazil…Farmers receive better training and payments – not to...
Author: Marsha Dickson, University of Delaware & Doug Cahn, The Cahn Group
We believe training efforts [to address non-compliance with labour standards & corporate codes of conduct] are underdeveloped, fall far short of the expectations of the brands and retailers who promote them, and may result in a false sense of...
Author: Damon Poeter, PCMag
SACOM conducted off-site interviews with workers at Ri-Teng's Shanghai factory [Pegatron subsidiary, assembler of iPad mini]…[which] was the site of an explosion… last December…reportedly injured 61 workers…SACOM said workers pointed to an ongoing...
Author: Christine Bader, Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke Univ. [USA], on CSRwire TalkBack
...[It] is not just our actions at work but our choices at home that matter...[While] gearing up for the birth of my twins in September...[and buying] the necessary supplies, I was at a loss. The baby market exemplifies challenges that I’ve seen in...
- Related companies: Seventh Generation
Consumer, Labor Rights Groups, Teamsters Tell Whole Foods: Don't Support Child Labor Chocolate Maker
Author: Organic Consumers Association, Intl. Labor Rights Forum, Global Exchange, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Advocates against the exploitation of children by chocolate makers initiated a campaign today calling on Whole Foods Market...to hold The Hershey Company – the manufacturer of Dagoba and Scharffenberger Chocolates – accountable for exploiting children...
- Related stories: Whole Foods & United Natural Foods criticised for failing to sign appeal asking Hershey's to fully commit to using ethically sourced cocoa
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) Ferrero Hershey Kraft Foods (now Kraft Heinz) Mars Nestlé United Natural Foods (UNFI) Whole Foods Market