International standards on privacy: click here
Related stories and components
Author: Jamie Doward, The Observer via The Guardian
"In no man’s land: anger as publisher puts book criticising army on hold", 18 August 2019...
- Related companies: Penguin Random House
Facebook recording of user audio prompts EU privacy regulator to investigate company's handling of personal data
Author: Thomson Reuters via CBC
"Facebook recording of user audio prompts probe from EU privacy regulator", 14 August 2019...
- Related stories: General Data Protection Regulation: Issues of compliance and non-compliance
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Instagram (part of Facebook) Microsoft Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
Microsoft criticised for investing in Israeli facial recognition company allegedly conducting surveillance on Palestinians
Some civil society groups and privacy activists are criticising Microsoft's investment in AnyVision, an Israeli facial recognition company which is allegedly carrying out surveillance on Palestinians. In June 2019, Microsoft’s M12 venture capital arm...
UN Human Rights Council Advisory Committee invites inputs on opportunities & challenges of new & emerging digital technologies on rights
In July 2019, the UN Human Rights Council adopted a resolution entitled, “New and emerging digital technologies and human rights”. In this resolution, the Council requested that the Advisory Committee prepare a report on the possible impacts,...
Author: Arthur Villasanta, International Business Times
Rupert Hogg, former CEO of Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, is being widely hailed as a hero for refusing China’s request he provide them with the names of all Cathay Pacific employees that took part in the ongoing protests in Hong Kong. China, which is the...
Author: M12, corporate venture arm of Microsoft
M12 is the corporate venture arm of Microsoft and was formerly known as Microsoft Ventures.AnyVision agreed to comply with Microsoft’s facial recognition principles as part of M12’s investment. Microsoft believes that technology companies need to...
- Related stories: Microsoft criticised for investing in Israeli facial recognition company allegedly conducting surveillance on Palestinians
- This is a response from the following companies: Microsoft
"HealthEngine sued for allegedly manipulating reviews of GPs and selling patient details", 8 August 2019...
- Related companies: HealthEngine
The Wall Street Journal claims Huawei Technologies staff helped Zambia & Uganda govts. spy on opponents; company denies allegations
Author: Joe Parkinson, Nicholas Bariyo & Josh Chin, The Wall Street Journal
"Huawei Technicians Helped African Governments Spy on Political Opponents"...
Verisk Maplecroft's Human Rights Outlook 2019 says risks spread for businesses & civil society as more countries embrace authoritarian tactics
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
"‘Strongmen’ regimes lead charge against freedom of speech and privacy: Human Rights Outlook 2019", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour Latest news on natural resources Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Yamana Gold