Ivanhoe Mines (now Turquoise Hill Resources)
Headquarters in Canada
Ivanhoe Mines became Turquoise Hill Resources in August 2012. Please see the Turquoise Hill Resources section for items post-August 2012.
Author: Human Rights Watch, groundWork, Centre for Environmental Rights & Earthjustice
"“We Know Our Lives Are in Danger”: Environment of Fear in South Africa’s Mining-Affected Communities", 16 Apr 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Women human rights defenders
- Related companies: Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) Eskom Ivanhoe Mines (now Turquoise Hill Resources) Mineral Resource Commodities (see Mineral Commodities) Transworld Energy and Mineral Resources Turquoise Hill Resources
Mongolia: Herders successfully reach tripartite settlement to remain on heritage land following lawsuit over impact of Oyu Tolgoi mine
Author: Rod Austin, Guardian (UK)
"An example to all': the Mongolian herders who took on a corporate behemoth – and won", 8 Apr 2019...
Assessment of Canada's Natl. Contact Point cases in extractive sector finds it unable to provide effective remedy
Author: Above Ground, MiningWatch Canada, OECD Watch
"'Canada is Back' But Still Far Behind," 15 Nov 2016...
- Related stories: UN Forum 2016: Materials launched & commentaries
- Related companies: Barrick Gold China Gold International Resources China Railway Construction Corriente Resources (joint venture Tongling Nonferrous Metals, China Railway Construction Corporation & CRCC-Tongguan Investment) First Quantum Minerals Glencore Ivanhoe Mines (now Turquoise Hill Resources) Rio Tinto
Commentary: Canadian Govt.'s enhanced corporate social responsibility strategy requires details for implementation
Author: Josh Scheinert, OpenCanada
"Between Rock and Responsibility," 3 Jun 2016...
Author: Intl. Council on Mining and Metals
This Guide represents a key milestone on a journey that began for ICMM in 2004, when we started working to support more constructive relationships between Indigenous Peoples and mining companies...based on respect, meaningful engagement and mutual...
- Related stories: Intl. Council on Mining and Metals releases "Good Practice Guide: Indigenous Peoples and Mining"
- Related in-depth areas: Business tools and guidance
- Related companies: Anglo American Barrick Gold BHP Billiton China Minmetals Compañia de Minas Buenaventura EnCana Freeport Indonesia (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Freeport-McMoRan Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Ivanhoe Mines (now Turquoise Hill Resources) Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) Newmont Goldcorp OceanaGold Oxiana Rio Tinto Rio Tinto Alcan (part of Rio Tinto) Teck Resources Vale Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: Thomas Maung Shwe, Mizzima [India]
One of China’s biggest arms makers signed a contract with a Burmese junta-controlled entity this month involving “co-operation” in a Monywa copper mine, raising serious questions over the status of Canadian miner Ivanhoe’s holdings in the town...
Ivanhoe Mines did not respond to: NGOs protest against government's approval of mining project by Rio Tinto, Ivanhoe - concerns include possible water impacts.
- Related stories: Mongolian NGOs protesting against govt.'s approval of mining project by Rio Tinto, Ivanhoe appeal to John Ruggie to "use his good offices to calm the tension"
- This is a non response from the following companies: Ivanhoe Mines (now Turquoise Hill Resources)