Author: Richard Spoor Inc., Attorneys
South Africa human rights lawyer Richard Spoor filed an application for class certification of an action for damages in the South Gauteng High Court on behalf of tens of thousands of current and former gold mine workers, as well as dependents of...
- Related stories: So. Africa: Ex-miners suffering lung disease file class action lawsuit against more than 30 gold companies
- Related companies: DRDGold JCI Randgold (part of Barrick Gold)
Author: Dineo Matomela, Business Report [So. Africa]
More than 300 000 retired gold mine workers, who contracted silicosis or tuberculosis (TB) during or after their employment in the industry, were pushing for the start of a multibillion-rand class action next year, lawyer Richard Spoor said on Friday. ...
- Related stories: AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: African Rainbow Minerals Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold Cape PLC DRDGold Gencor (mining) Gold Fields Harmony Gold JCI Randgold (part of Barrick Gold)
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
On 21 December 2012 attorney Richard Spoor filed a motion in South Africa court seeking class certification for as many as 17,000 ex-gold miners suffering from the lung disease silicosis. The proposed class action named 30 gold mining companies as...