Corporate Sector Adviser at ICRC Beijing
The ICRC Regional Delegation in Beijing seeks to fill the following position:
Corporate Sector Adviser
The Corporate Sector Adviser’s (CSA) mission will be to engage with Chinese stakeholders, both in China and abroad, to facilitate the deployment of responsible conduct by Chinese businesses operating overseas, in particular those operating in conflict-affected areas. This will be done mainly through providing policy guidance and practical tools meant to manage the security risks and humanitarian impact of business operations.
In particular, the CSA will be building and maintaining contacts and interact with the corporate sector, business associations, think tanks, private foundations as well as relevant government agencies on humanitarian as well as responsible business conduct issues. Internally, the CSA will assure analysis and reporting on general and specific issues touching on the corporate sector, define objectives and strategies, ensure planning and implementation as well as budgeting of activities under his/her responsibility. He/she will coordinate this closely with a range of specialized departments of the ICRC Regional Delegation in Beijing.
The Corporate Sector Adviser reports to the Deputy Head of Regional Delegation in Beijing and liaises with the Economic Adviser’s team in the headquarters in Geneva (Department of International Law and Policy).
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
Responsible Business Conduct Program
- Ensures the implementation and regular updating of the strategy of engagement with the corporate sector established by the Regional Delegation in Beijing;
- Develops lessons-learned exercises/reports with the view to articulating and improving the Regional Delegation’s strategy of engagement with business actors;
- Advises the management of the Regional Delegation on the most appropriate use of the ICRC work on responsible business conduct for the benefit of the Regional Delegation’s broader objectives related to China and the region;
- Oversees the finalization and the deployment of training programs on responsible business conduct for actors operating in contexts of fragility, conflict and violence;
- Explores possibilities to deliver, or support the delivery of the training programs in field locations where Chinese business actors operate in conflict-affected or fragile areas;
- Establishes a working system where ‘responsible business conduct’ related websites, newsletters, platforms, etc. are regularly monitored;
- Proactively manages and develops the network of interlocutors involved on the issue of Chinese economic actors’ operations overseas;
- Identifies and seizes opportunities to cooperate or partner with relevant stakeholders through monitoring of websites, publications and fora where broad responsible business issues and narrower issues related to Chinese companies operating abroad are analysed and discussed;
- Contributes to the shaping of the debate on responsible business conduct of Chinese business operators in cooperation or partnership with Chinese partner institutions;
- Regularly liaises with the team of the Economic Adviser based at the headquarters to ensure that their respective activities are coherent and consistent and that synergies are developed where possible;
- Establishes and maintains a reporting system (weekly/monthly) between the Regional Delegation in Beijing and HQ on the program.
Other Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assists and advises on the Regional Delegation’s engagement at various for a on business-related issues (Boao Forum for Asia, China and Globalization Forum, United Nations Global Compact, etc.);
- Assists and guides interactions with specific business entities in support of transversal objectives;
- Supports the management team in exploring topics of digital transformation and humanitarian innovations.
Other General Duties
- Assists the Regional Delegation and contributes to the annual planning of objectives and activities;
- Contributes to the understanding of the set of issues and themes identified by the Regional Delegation which have a relevance to the ICRC’s work and concerns;
- Manages the budget in accordance with the ICRC rules and regulations set by the administration;
- Is aware of, and contributes to the ICRC’s and the Regional Delegation's wider objectives and activities;
Selection requirements and experience:
- Master’s degree in economics, business administration, development studies, international relations, public administration, sociology or equivalent.
- Minimum 8-year work experience in a comparable position for a non-profit organization or as public affairs officer in the corporate sector or other relevant experience at the intersection of corporate and public affairs.
- Minimum 3-year experience of program management, managerial experience is an asset.
- Direct work experience in China or with Chinese stakeholders is an asset.
- Familiarity with responsible business frameworks such as UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, OECD Due Diligence Guidance, etc..
- Fluent in written and spoken Chinese and English, knowledge of French is an asset.
- Very good communication and analytical skills.
- Proven capacity to network, to find connections and develop ideas/plans with like-minded and to work in a transversal way both internally (within the ICRC) and externally (with outside stakeholders).
- Ability to work independently, to think out-of-the-box, to be a force of proposals and to take initiatives.
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, by email only to: [email protected] (specify position name at your email title) Attn: Human Resources Department
Deadline for applications: 15th June 2021
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview