Director, Energy and Extractives at BSR
BSR works with its global network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our offices around the globe with offices in Tokyo, Shanghai, Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, and San Francisco.
Visit www.bsr.org for more information.
The Director, Energy and Extractives will have primary responsibility for continuing to build and lead BSR’s work with companies as part of the organization’s Energy & Extractives practice. This person will be part of BSR’s Advisory Services team, providing sector leadership to the 30+ accounts in BSR’s global energy and extractives practice.
The Director will lead business development activities and oversee project execution for the sector’s consulting and membership activities. Consulting projects and membership engagement activities are specifically scoped to drive BSR’s mission and create social and/or environmental impacts. Areas of project focus include: CSR performance assessment and reporting, strategy development, social risk identification and management, community development program design, stakeholder engagement, sustainable development, environmental sustainability, and human rights.
The Director will have final accountability for developing/managing the sector’s annual budget, driving successful business development and membership activities, and overseeing many simultaneous initiatives and corresponding project teams to ultimately achieve yearly budget, demonstrate progress against BSR’s mission and ensure value creation with BSR members.
The position is full-time and preference will be given to candidates who can operate out of one of BSR’s existing major offices in the US or Europe (San Francisco, New York, Paris, Copenhagen)
• Business Development: The Director will have primary responsibility for driving revenue generation and managing complex relationships with 30+ accounts. The director will play a leading role in identifying and developing new consulting engagements, with pro-active shaping/scoping of potential new projects and with responsive delivery of proposals aligned with issued RFPs.
• Consulting / Project Directorship: The Director will provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to member companies in the sector.
• Member Services: The Director will have responsibility for ensuring BSR’s energy and extractives members receive significant value, year over year, from their continued membership in BSR. Activities here may include: development of thought pieces / research briefs; providing thought partnership to members on key sustainability issues / challenges; creating opportunities for BSR members to engage with other BSR experts, external stakeholders and/or other companies; and regular engagement with members via phone and/or in-person.
• Internal Practice Management: The Director will represent the Energy and Extractives sector at internal management meetings, strategy discussions and budget planning. The Director will lead and develop BSR’s global energy and extractives team, as well as assist in supervising and developing the professional capabilities of other members of BSR’s consulting and research teams.
• External Representation: The Director will represent both BSR and the Energy and Extractives practice to external audiences by: presenting at industry conferences; writing publications; forming beneficial external partnerships; and creating other opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
• The Director may also be required to provide services to companies in other sectors according to business needs.
Note: ONLY candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
• Significant experience (at least 5+ years) working with, or in, the energy industry at both an operations and corporate level.
• Significant consulting experience (at least 7 years) required, to perform the key functions of a consulting practice leader, including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
• Master’s degree in business, environmental management, public policy, or other relevant discipline required.
• Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management and exercising influence with senior leaders
• Demonstration of entrepreneurial instincts, ability to learn rapidly and broadly, capacity to quickly adapt.
• Significant business experience including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines; developing/ mentoring project teams; achieving and managing an ambitious yearly budget; and developing sector strategy aligned with BSR’s overarching organizational strategy.
• Significant experience working with, or in, the energy and or extractives sector.
• Deep knowledge and experience in key content areas, especially: global energy and climate issues, community relations, local economic development, strategy development and stakeholder engagement.
• Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, team development, budget management etc.
• Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members across geographies and cultures.
• Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
• Willingness to undertake business travel (~ 30% time).
• Professional experience in Asia, Latin America and/or Africa as well as US/EU strongly preferred.
• Fluency in English. Fluency in a second language (Mandarin, Spanish or French) strongly preferred.
• Willingness to undertake business travel (~ 25-40% time).
• Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
• High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Location: New York, San Francisco, Paris, or Copenhagen
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with skill, knowledge and experience