Manager, Product Sustainability at Levi Strauss & Co.
Manage and champion the environmental and social activities and programs related to the development, implementation, and expansion of sustainable products with the goal of ensuring LS&CO’s leadership in the market place. Lead product innovation pipeline activities that will progress LS&Co.’s strategic leadership in Sustainability. Influence and drive engagement of key internal and external stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of sustainable products. Lead and influence the development of corporate sustainability strategies and goals and ensure that sustainable product attributes are aligned with these strategies and goals. Ensure LS&Co. is positioned and prepared for all future regulatory requirements and customer/major consumer expectations of the company.
- Lead and influence the development of seasonal sustainable product attributes and ensure they are: developed to be scalable and can be quickly expanded within the source base, supported by robust, peer-reviewed data which can support strong marketing messaging, have clearly defined data collection and tracking systems that are managed by the appropriate department(s) and support LS&CO sustainability strategies.
- Liaison with key business partners to ensure they are educated on all sustainable products and programs and have clear direction regarding product sustainability and how to design products that support LS&CO’s sustainability strategies.
- Develop and implement an innovation pipeline for product sustainability which feeds into seasonal product development activities.
- Educate and enable marketing and corporate communication teams to create compelling sustainability messaging by providing sustainable product subject matter content.
- Ensure use of lifecycle assessment (LCA) to support product environment foot-printing and substantiation of preferential product components.
- Provide leadership to the development and maintenance of LS&CO.’s environmental product standards to ensure they are: 1) based on the most sound and global scientific date; 2) legally and reputationally defensible; 3) as up-to-date and current as needed; and 4) used internally to guide global decision making for eco-product development and sourcing.
OPERATIONS/SUPPLY CHAIN 20%
- Support and collaborate with Sustainably Operations and key stakeholders on: development of Operations and Supply Chain environmental strategies and targets; implementation and compliance to environmental and social programs and practices.
- Educate and inform key HQ stakeholders on supply chain sustainability programs and practices.
- Collaborate with key HQ stakeholders to help define, develop, and implement Supply Chain sustainability data requirements.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key external stakeholder groups focused on sustainability issue.
- Represent LS&CO interest at meetings, conferences, and in work groups and influence outcomes to align with LS&CO requirements and strategies.
- Educate and inform internal stakeholders on external trends, work group status/direction, opportunities, and challenges.
- Manage, coach, and develop team (as appropriate)
- Collaborate with Sustainability Operations EHS Sr. Manager to develop implementation strategy and build environmental sustainability capabilities in regions.
- Define strategy, projects and budget for sustainability consultants.
Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years of related work experience in: social and environmental sustainability for products and supply chain
- Proven managerial experience setting strategies and facilitating the achievement of the team
- Highly organized with strong project management skill as well as technical problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand external corporate drivers and implement internal strategies to achieve company goals
- Deep analytical skills
- Experience developing and presenting recommendations at an executive-level
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong collaboration, oral, and written communication skills
- Experience with lifecycle assessment methods to assess environmental impact of products
- Able to lead and facilitate effective group process and collaboration
- Able to influence external and internal work streams
- International experience a plus
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally as required.
Contract: Full time
Closing date: Open until filled
Location: San Francisco, USA