Revenue Accounting Manager at BSR
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR's more than 20 years of leadership in sustainability.
Reporting to the Controller, this position will be responsible for managing all aspects of the consulting and membership revenue process including contract review, application of appropriate revenue guidance, and timely reporting on a monthly basis. The Revenue Accounting Manager will also lead BSR’s internal reporting process – both accounting and managerial. In addition, this position will be responsible for technical accounting research, accounting memo preparation, and review and improvement of controls related to AR and revenue. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the value of ongoing process improvement within an advanced cloud accounting environment. BSR uses Intacct’s financial management and accounting applications and the candidate must be confident of their ability to thrive in an evolving, fast-paced environment.
- Ongoing review of non-standard customer contracts identifying details affecting revenue and determining the appropriate revenue accounting
- Lead process and system improvement initiatives to automate revenue recognition and sales returns for accurate deferred and contra-revenue accounting, including implementation of new revenue standards
- Develop and maintain procedural documentation for revenue accounting functions
- Prepare management reports including revenue analysis, metrics, and forecasting
- Proactively research and document technical revenue issues
- Assist the Finance team and Project Managers with ad hoc research, reporting and projects as it pertains to revenue and AR
- Assist with inquiries related to internal quarterly and year-end external audits
- Serve as a key interface with outside auditors on revenue and related technical accounting positions
- Co-lead the annual Budget process
- Assist management in mentoring and developing accounting staff
- Ad hoc projects as necessary
NOTE: Only candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- BS in Accounting or related degree, CPA a plus
- 5-7 years of experience, 2+ years in revenue recognition in the service industry
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, including working knowledge of revenue recognition
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to simplify and explain complex accounting guidance to stakeholders of all levels across multiple functions
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to effectively work with departments throughout the organization.
- Previous experience with Intacct and Salesforce.com a plus
- Advanced Excel skills
- Self-starter who can work with minimal supervision
- High ethical standards and committed to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity
BSR is a highly dynamic organization and, accordingly, the responsibilities associated with this position description may change from time to time in accordance with the Company’s business needs.
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. BSR is an EEOC employer.