Vice President of Programs at the Fair Labor Association
The Vice President of Programs will provide leadership and management to the FLA’s global programs including due diligence activities; the Sustainable Compliance Initiative (SCI); company, factory and agricultural evaluations; and accreditations. Under the overall supervision of the President, and in coordination with the Senior Leadership Team, the VP of Programs will lead the implementation of the due diligence and research and innovation programs of FLA’s strategic framework, building on the FLA’s strengths in stakeholder services, third party complaints and safeguards, and CSO engagement.
This position will manage and motivate a network of associate directors, and internationally based regional managers. Providing the highest level of program leadership the VP of Programs is a member of the Senior Leadership Team, working closely with his/her colleagues and under the Direction of the President/CEO to steer the organization towards achievement of its overall program goal: "To Improve Workers' Lives Worldwide"
- Provide program leadership, guidance and innovation to operationalize FLA's strategic direction, including ensuring quality and timely delivery of assessment
reports, enhancing FLA's worldwide credibility and the continuous improvement of the SCI methodology.
- Provide technical leadership to FLA's policy work of selected priorities in the field of labor (for ex. work on wages, etc.)
- Integrate and manage four program areas including Workplace Accountability, Business Accountability, FLA's Agricultural Programs, and Research & Innovation to
achieve alignment and coordination of global program strategies and activities.
- Serve effectively as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, communicating and consulting on personnel, programmatic, financial and other issues related to program development and management, and establish a comprehensive and timely reporting schedule for the Programs Department.
- Oversee and manage the Research & Innovation Director, Associate Directors and other program staff.
- Conduct annual objective setting and performance appraisal process with direct reports.
- Motivate program staff to ensure coordination and integration, collaborative communication, high level of productivity and accountability.
- Work collegially and collaboratively with department heads as part of the Senior Leadership Team. Achieve alignment of program priorities with overall organizational
plans and priorities.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key FLA stakeholders and affiliates including participating suppliers, participating companies and universities.
- Lead Board preparations as directed by the President/CEO, particularly in supporting the needs of the Monitoring Committee of the Board.
- Provide regular reporting, analyses and assessments to the President/CEO, the Senior Leadership Team and the Board regarding organizational progress,
challenges and opportunities.
- Participate in the representation of the FLA in various arenas such as international conferences and events.
- Act on behalf of the President as required, and carry out other responsibilities as requested by the President.
Contract: Permanent, full time
Closing date: 30 September 2014
Location: Washington DC, USA