International Cocoa Initiative
A multistakeholder initiative established to address the issue of illegal child labour in the cocoa supply chain.
- Cocoa industry ‘failing to address abusive child labour’ in supply chain
Procurement Leaders, 5 Oct 2010
- Fourth Annual Report: Oversight of Public and Private Initiatives to Eliminate the Worst Forms of Child Labor in the Cocoa Sector in Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana
Payson Center for International Development at Tulane University, 30 Sep 2010
Responsible Cotton Network
A multistakeholder initiative working to halt the use of forced child labour in Uzbek cotton production. Members include brands, retail associations, investors and civil society organizations.
- Background: Investor, company and NGO coalition to address forced child labour
Maplecroft, UN Global Compact (case study)
- Company response to Forced Labor in Uzbek Cotton
International Labor Rights Forum
Lists companies that have committed not to use Uzbek cotton.
IKEA Social Initiative backgrounder (by UNICEF)
The IKEA Social Initiative, founded in 2005, aims to “promote the rights of every child to a healthy, secure childhood and access to quality education”. It is a partnership between IKEA, UNICEF and Save the Children.
- IKEA Social Initiative (Ikea website)
- IKEA (Save the Children website)
- IKEA Social initiative (on business.un.org)
NGO working to end child labour in the handmade rug industry. Provides a certification programme for rug manufacturers (formerly RugMark).
Related stories and components
Author: International Labour Rights Forum
Companies across the US and Europe have taken a stand against forced child labor in the production of Uzbek cotton. In addition, some companies are working hard to develop clear traceability for cotton and other components of clothing....[C]ompanies...
- Related in-depth areas: Key initiatives Key initiatives & reports Positive initiatives
- Related companies: American Eagle Outfitters ASDA (part of Walmart) Bed Bath & Beyond C&A Columbia Sportswear Continental Clothing Eileen Fisher Gap Hanesbrands J.C. Penney Jones Group Kohl's Krenholm (part of Boras Wäfveri) L.L.Bean Levi Strauss Limited Brands Macy's Marks & Spencer Nike Nordstrom Phillips-Van Heusen Target Tesco Timberland (part of VF Corp) TJX VF Corp Walmart Walt Disney
IKEA Social Initiative works together with UNICEF and Save the Children to promote the rights of every child to a healthy, secure childhood and access to quality education. IKEA Social Initiative was formed in 2005 to address the company’s commitment...
Author: Procurement Leaders
The global cocoa industry has been slammed for failing to stamp out suppliers which rely on "abusive child labour". The allegations were made by the Payson Center for International Development at Tulane University in its fourth annual report on...
[PDF] Oversight of public and private initiatives to eliminate the worst forms of child labor in the cocoa sector in Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana
Author: Payson Center for International Development and Technology Transfer, Tulane University
Without question the Harkin-Engel Protocol has been a catalyst for action - and to a degree, Industry is working towards fulfilling the Protocol's terms...However, Industry is still far from achieving its target to have "a sector-wide independently...
Author: UN Global Compact
An estimated 2 million children between the ages of 11-17 harvest cotton in Uzbekistan under conditions described as forced labour...The Responsible Cotton Network has sought to influence policymakers in Uzbekistan through diplomatic channels in order...
- Related in-depth areas: Case examples Key initiatives Key initiatives & reports Positive initiatives
- Related companies: American Eagle Outfitters Bed Bath & Beyond C&A Gap J.C. Penney Jones Group Kohl's Krenholm (part of Boras Wäfveri) Levi Strauss Limited Brands Macy's Marimekko Nike Nordstrom North Face (part of VF Corp) Patagonia Target Tesco Timberland TJX Walmart Walt Disney