Auchan lawsuit (re garment factories in Bangladesh)
|In 2014, three NGOs filed a complaint in France against Auchan alleging the company used misleading advertisements regarding the conditions in which its clothing was produced. Specifically, the company has made public statements regardings it commitment to social and environmental standards in its supply chain. Auchan denied these claims. In 2015, the prosecutor's office dismissed the complaint.|
In April 2014, three NGOS (Collectif Ethique sur l’étiquette, Peuples Solidaires and Sherpa) filed a complaint in Lille, France against the supermarket Auchan alleging the company used misleading advertisements regarding the conditions in which its clothing was produced. The plaintiffs highlight that the company has made public statements regarding its commitment to social and environment standards in its supply chain. Auchan has denied the claims.
The NGOS allege that Auchan lied to its customers about working conditions at its suppliers abroad after labels from its “In Extenso” clothing range were found in the rubble of the Rana Plaza factory in Bangladesh that collapsed in April 2013, killing thousands of workers and injuring hundreds. The supermarket has denied placing orders at the Rana Plaza factory and said it was the victim of “concealed subcontracting”. Since then, it says it has taken steps, including signing the “Fire and Safety Agreement” aiming at improving safety measures in Bangladesh's garment factories.
In May 2014, the prosecutor’s office in Lille launched a preliminary investigation. In January 2015, the case was dismissed.
In June 2015, those three NGOs brought a new complaint against Auchan for deceptive commercial practices; they petitioned the investigating judge to open an inquiry, if the claim is found to be admissible.
- "Probe dropped into Auchan role at Rana Plaza,” Katie Smith, just-style (UK), 3 Feb 2015
- “Auchan faces probe over Bangladesh garment factory collapse”, AFP, 29 May 2014
- [FR] « Rana Plaza : la justice ouvre une enquête contre Auchan », Nicole Vulser, Le Monde (France), 28 mai 2014
- “French supermarket to face charges one year after the Rana Plaza tragedy”, RFI (Radio France Internationale), 24 Apr 2014
- [FR] « Rana Plaza: Auchan visé par une plainte pour pratique commerciale trompeuse », Bérangère Lepetit, Le Parisien (France), 24 avril 2014
- [FR]« Filière textile : Premier bilan du Plan d’actions d’Auchan contre la sous-traitance non déclarée », 3 avril 2014
Collectif Ethique sur l’étiquette, Peuples Solidaires and Sherpa :
- [FR] « Classement sans suite des plaintes contre Samsung et Auchan », 21 janvier 2015
- [FR] « Effondrement du Rana Plaza: Ouverture d'une enquête préliminaire suite à la plainte déposée contre Auchan », 27 mai 2014