Burkina Faso: Search efforts for eight miners trapped underground enters third week
"Search continues for eight miners trapped in floodwaters underground for three weeks", 10 May 2022
An around-the-clock search for eight miners in west Africa trapped more than 500 metres underground by floodwaters, three weeks ago, continues as rescuers pin their hope on new equipment to aid their efforts.
There has been no communication with the workers at the zinc mine in Burkina Faso since April 16, when heavy rainfall caused flash floods. Their location remains unknown, the Canadian owners of Perkoa Mine said...
There are two refuge chambers located below Level 520 in the event of miners becoming trapped, but the company said it did not know if any of the missing workers had been able to reach them.
In a statement, the company said it "continues to strengthen search capabilities with additional equipment and resources, and search crews will continue to work at maximum capacity, 24-hours-per-day to locate the missing individuals".
Burkina Faso prime minister Albert Ouedraogo said managers of the mine had been banned from leaving the country while investigations were underway into the cause of the accident.
Representatives of Trevali and Byrnecut, the mining contractor at Perkoa, said they are in daily communication with the families of the missing workers... "We are working in solidarity with all levels of government and as fast as we possibly can using all available resources in the country, as well as importing additional machinery and equipment to assist with locating our missing colleagues," said Ricus Grimbeek, President and CEO...