PA Child Care lawsuits (re "kids for cash" scandal)
|In 2009, US prosecutors charged former Pennsylvania judges with fraud and tax evasion in connection with receiving bribes for sending teenage offenders to two privately run juvenile facilities. The judges were found guilty. In a separate class action by families impacted by the bribe, the case is still ongoing.|
In January 2009, US prosecutors charged former Pennsylvania judges, Mark Ciavarella Jr. of the Luzerne County Juvenile Court and Michael Conahan of the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas, with fraud and tax evasion in connection with receiving $2.6 million in kickbacks in return for sending teenage offenders to two privately-run juvenile facilities – PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care. The judges allegedly accepted money from Robert Powell and Robert Mericle, co-owners of the juvenile detention facilities, in return for imposing harsh sentences on juveniles brought before their courts and ensuring that juvenile offenders were sent to PA Child Care facilities.
In September 2009, a federal grand jury returned a 48-count indictment against the judges, including racketeering, extortion, bribery, money laundering, fraud and tax violations. Judge Ciavarella was accused of routinely depriving youth defendants of their right to counsel and ordering teenage offenders into detention even when probation officers did not recommend it. He was sentenced to 28 years in prison and was ordered to pay $1.17 million in restitution. Judge Conahan was sentenced to 17 years in prison. In May 2013, a US appeals court upheld all but one of the convictions of Mark Ciavarella.
In June 2009, Robert Powell was criminally charged in the Scranton District Court with failing to report a felony and being accessory to a conspiracy, and in July he pleaded guilty to both charges. In September 2009, Robert Mericle, pleaded guilty to failing to disclose to the grand jury that he paid $2.15 million to the judges to secure their backing for the PA Child Care facilities. In April 2014, Robert Mericle was sentenced to one year in prison, received a $250,000 fine and was ordered to perform 100 hours of community service.
The children and the parents impacted by this “kids-for-cash” scheme filed a class action lawsuit in June 2009 against the judges, Powel, Mericle, PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care seeking monetary damages for the abuses they suffered. In December 2011, the parties announced a partial settlement in this class action when Mericle agreed to pay $17.7 million to the plaintiffs. In August 2015, the plaintiffs and Powell agreed on a settlement of $4.75 million. The class actions against Ciavarella and Conahan are ongoing.
- "Pennsylvania Seeks to Close Books on "Kids for Cash" Scandal", 12 Aug 2015, Jon Schuppe, NBC News (USA)
- "Robert Mericle Sentenced To Prison For Role In "Kids For Cash" Scandal", 25 Apr 2014
- "Mericle agrees to $17M settlement", Dave Janoski, Times-Tribune [USA], 17 Dec 2011
- "“Kids for cash” judge sentenced to 28 years in prison", Global Post, 11 Aug 2011
- "Ciavarella Found Guilty on 12 of 39 Counts", Times Leader, 19 February 2011
- "Ex-jurists plea, still free", Terrie Morgan-Besecker, Times Leader, 16 Sep 2011
- "Ex-US judge pleads guilty to child prison scam", BBC News, 23 Jul 2010
- "Mericle pleads guilty in kids-for-cash scandal", Dave Janoski, Citizens Voice, 2 Sep 2009
- "Judges withdraw guilty pleas, Terrie Morgan-Besecker", Times Leader, 25 Aug 2009
- "Plea Agreement by 2 Judges Is Rejected in Pennsylvania", Ian Urbina, New York Times, 31 Jul 2009
- "Powell pleads guilty", Michael Sisak, Times Tribune, 1 Jul 2009
- Juvenile Law Center [counsel for victims]: Luzerne Kids-For-Cash Scandal (includes links to legal documents for class action)
- [PDF] USA v Michael T. Conahan and Mark A. Ciavarella US District Court for Middle District of Pennsylvania, 9 Sep 2009 [Indictment]
- [PDF] USA v Robert K.Mericle, US District Court for Middle District of Pennsylvania, 9 June 2009, 31 Jul 2009 [Plea agreement]
- [PDF] USA v Michael T. Conahan and Mark A. Ciavarella, US District Court for Middle District of Pennsylvania, 30 Jul 2009 [Memorandum and Order]
- [PDF] USA v Robert J.Powell, US District Court for Middle District of Pennsylvania, 9 Jun 2009 [Information]
- [PDF] USA v Michael T. Conahan and Mark A. Ciavarella, US District Court for Middle District of Pennsylvania, 26 Jan 2009 [Information]