Zambia: Over 200 school children and 43 miners admitted to hospital following alleged leak of sulphuric from mine
Over 200 pupils and 40 KCM employees in Chingola were rushed to hospitals after inhaling sulphuric acid which Konkola Copper Mines (‘KCM’) released from its acid plant. Reports from the scene, say the mine plant was on Thursday around 19:00 hours shut down temporarily following power disruption. However, when the acid plant was switched on after power was restored around 02:00 hours, there was an emission of gases which choked miners who were on duty. The Zambian Minister of Mines has called for the Zambia Environmental Management Agency to use all provisions of the law to deal with Konkola Copper Mines. KCM’s parent company Vedanta says it has not had access to any of KCM’s facilities since the provisional liquidator Milingo Lungu was appointed on May 21.