Law & lawsuits
Explore categories within this category
Related stories and components
Farmers from Gujarat were sued by the US Multinational Pepsico for ‘illegally’ growing potatoes of a certain variety that has been registered by Pepsico India. This potato variety is used in the manufacture of 'Lays' chips. Demanding damages worth Rs 1...
Commentary: Mining companies using nuisance lawsuits to frustrate human rights defenders in So. Africa
Author: Marcos Orellana, Newsweek (USA)
“Green activists are fighting the great fight—but are being dragged down by petty lawsuits | opinion” 7 May 2019...
Author: Anglo American
Anglo American plc confirms that, on 18 January 2019, an award was issued in its arbitration against Venezuela brought under the UK-Venezuela Bilateral Investment Treaty (“the Treaty”) (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/14/1). The case related to Anglo American’s...
- Related stories: Latin America: Report details impacts of international arbitrations filed by mining companies
- This is a response from the following companies: Anglo American
Cambodia: Bunong indigenous villagers prepare to lodge a complaint against a director of wildlife sanctuary accusing him of illegal logging
Author: Soth Koemsoeun, The Phnom Penh Post
"Villagers file suit against wildlife chief over logging", 7 May 2019...
Cambodia: Koh Kong Provincial Court summonses an environmentalist and former co-founder of Mother Nature organisation to stand trial
Author: Sochan Ry, The Phnom Penh Post
"Court summons issued to Mother Nature founder", 2 May 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Liberia: Lawyer forced into exile after fighting palm oil industry receives Goldman Environmental Prize
Author: Abdi Latif Dahir, Quartz Africa
"How challenging the powerful global palm oil industry forced a Liberian lawyer into exile", 29 April 2019....
- Related stories: Liberia: Global Witness report alleges intimidation, violent abuse of communities opposed to Golden Veroleum's encroachment on their lands Liberia: Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil hands down decision relating to community complaints against Golden Veroleum
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources
- Related companies: Golden Agri-Resources Golden Veroleum Liberia
Cambodia: Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentences a massage parlour owner to 2 years imprisonment for offering illegal prostitution
Author: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea, Khmer Times
"Court convicts massage parlour owner over prostitution", 29 April 2019...