"Beyond Voluntarism" report
Related stories and components
Author: Alyson Warhurst, Cressie Strachan, Zahed Yousuf & Siobhan Tuohy-Smith, Maplecroft [UK]
[A]pproximately 2.4m men, women and children are internationally and domestically trafficked for the purposes of: commercial sexual exploitation; forced labour; domestic servitude and the removal of organs at any given point in time…Businesses should...
- Related stories: Maplecroft releases report on the risks posed to business by the human trafficking industry
- Related in-depth areas: Tools & Guidance
- Related companies: Accor Air France KLM British Airways Carlson Citibank (part of Citigroup) Citigroup Delta Air Lines Global Horizons Kuoni Monsanto Monsoon Safaricom Thomas Cook TUI Travel Vodafone
Author: Institute for Human Rights and Business
All of us at the Institute for Human Rights and Business mourn the loss of Nick Howen who passed away on 26 January 2010. Nick was one of the early thinkers and advocates from the human rights community to address the links between private sector...
[DOC] [course syllabus / reading list] Human Rights Issues for International Organizations [includes many sections focusing on business & human rights]
Author: Curt Goering, Senior Deputy Executive Director, Amnesty International USA
[the following sections of the syllabus focus on business & human rights issues]...
[DOC] Excerpts from submissions to United Nations consultation on business & human rights (submissions made available to the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre)
Author: compilation by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre covering submissions by various authors
[includes excerpts from submissions made by NGOs, companies, business organisations, govts., academics & other individuals]
- Related companies: ABB adidas Alcoa Barclays BASF Body Shop (part of L'Oréal) BP Dow Chemical Ford Gap HP (Hewlett-Packard) McDonald's Microsoft MTV (part of Viacom) MTV Networks Europe (part of Viacom) National Grid Newmont Nexen Nike Novartis Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) Occidental Petroleum Pfizer Reebok (part of adidas) Rio Tinto Sasol Shell Sonofon (part of Telenor) Starbucks Statoil Storebrand Telefónica Telenor Unilever Union Carbide (part of Dow)
[DOC] [Comments by Michelle Leighton & Naomi Roht-Arriaza about the UN Norms on business & human rights]
Author: Michelle Leighton (Law and Policy Consultant - International Environment, Human Rights, CSR) & Professor Naomi Roht-Arriaza (University of California, Hastings College of the Law)
[comments contributed to Intl. Network for Economic, Social & Cultural Rights (ESCR-Net), in advance of ESCR-Net’s submission to UN stakeholder consultation on business & human rights]...these norms do not make "new" law for companies, but...
Author: Professor Margaret Bedggood
[course taught at Summer School in Intl. Human Rights Law, Oxford Univ. & George Washington Univ. Law School, 2004]
- Related stories: Freeport-McMoRan lawsuits (re West Papua) Nike lawsuit (Kasky v Nike, re denial of labour abuses) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Slavery reparations lawsuit (re USA) Syllabus: "Human Rights in the Marketplace" (summer 2004 course, Intl. Human Rights Law programme, Oxford Univ.) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Enron Freeport Indonesia (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Freeport-McMoRan Nike Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: Professor Margaret Bedggood
[course taught at Summer School in Intl. Human Rights Law, Oxford Univ. & George Washington Univ. Law School, 2004] This course has as its objective to examine the impact of international human rights standards on global trade, corporate...
- Related stories: International Council on Human Rights Policy