Law Society: International Women's Day 2015
9.30am - 1.30pm (GMT) | 6 March | London
International Women’s Day takes place on March 8th every year. This is a major day of global celebration of women which is marked annually by the Law Society when we use the opportunity to acknowledge the success and contribution of women solicitors to the legal workplace and to society.
On the 6th of March 2015 The Law Society will be hosting a half day seminar to celebrate International Women's Day.
This seminar aims to revisit the key recommendations from the 2012 International Women in Law summit legacy report and to ‘take stock’ of progress as well to highlight where more can be done and how this can be achieved.
We will be focusing on three key topics: gender targets v quotas, equal pay and the role clients can play to support greater gender diversity in law firms. These topics will be explored through three plenary panel discussions with leading national and international speakers from within the legal profession and from the wider world of business. Each plenary session will be followed by an interactive Q&A discussion with the delegates.
The seminar's keynote speech will explore the role men could and should play in promoting greater gender equality in law firms.
The event and the post-event networking lunch will provide ample opportunity for delegates, speakers and sponsors to mingle and network.
The speaker line-up includes:
- Lucy Scott- Moncrieff, chair, the Law Society's equality and diversity committee
Plenary panel A: targets v quotas
- Tamara Box, chair, financial industry group, Reed Smith
- Ian Gray, partner Eversheds LLP
- Sharron Gunn, executive director, ICAEW
- Dr. Anke Meier, LL.M, partner, Noerr LLP
Plenary panel B - bridging the equal pay gap
- Dominique Attias, lawyer, member of the Paris Bar, former board member of the Paris Bar, former member of the French national Council of the Bars Rachel Dineley partner, employment and pensions group, DAC Beachcroft LLP
- Alison Pritchard, head of Government Equalities Office (panel chair)
- Catherine Williams, chief people officer DWF LLP
Plenary panel C - role of the client in promoting greater gender diversity in law firms
- Rupert Bondy, general counsel, BP legal
- Jacqueline Joyston-Bechal, head of legal, marketing and banking, Bank of England
- Richard Tapp, company secretary and director of legal services at Carillion PLC (panel chair)
- Lesley Wan, corporate real estate counsel, Lloyds Banking Group
09:00 - 09:30 Registration and refreshments
09:30 - 09:35 Chair’s welcome
09:35 - 09:40 Law Society welcome
09:40 - 10:00 Keynote speech - role of men
10:00 - 10:40 Plenary panel A: targets v quotas
10:40 - 11:00 Networking and refreshments
11:00 - 11:40 Plenary panel B - bridging the equal pay gap
11:40 - 12:20 Plenary panel C - role of the client in promoting greater gender diversity in law firms
12:20 - 12:30 Chairs closing comments
12:30 - 13:30 Networking lunch
Who should attend?
This event is open to partners, general counsel and other individuals with decision making and people management responsibilities in legal practices. It's also open to HR and diversity practitioners working on promoting greater gender equality in legal practices.
This event is only open to members on the rolls of the Law Society of England and Wales.
Date & time: 6 March 2015, 9.30am - 1.30pm
Venue: The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1PL
Registration: Follow the link below to register