Legal Officer: Asset Recovery and Sanctions
- Location: London
- Salary: This is a B-level ‘officer’ position, with an initial salary range (B1-B3) of between £30,435 and £35,000. There is at least a cost of living increase annually.
- Contract Type: This is a two-year position, supported by project funding. If further funding is forthcomFull time (35 hours a week). Evening and weekend work may be required from time to time. REDRESS has a flexible working policy that allows for some working from home.
- Closing Date: 02/04/2020
REDRESS has launched a new initiative to respond to the connection between grand corruption and torture, by taking action to seize the corrupt assets of high-profile torturers and have them assigned as reparations for the benefit of their victims. We are exploring the viability of legal routes to seize corrupt assets, as well as researching individual situations where such claims could be tested, and building connections with the civil society and professional partners who we will work with.
At the same time, the project will highlight the critical role of the UK as an enabler of global corruption by inviting the government to sanction the assets of human rights violators who have assets in the UK.
Based in London, the Legal Officer will be required to:
- Support our casework seeking accountability for survivors of torture, by developing evidence and legal claims, particularly for survivors in the UK.
- Develop and deliver a complementary policy response, through advocacy to relevant national governments, regional bodies, and the United Nations.
- Engage with the families of torture survivors who are still detained abroad, to provide them with support and involve them in the legal claims and policy response.
- Develop innovative legal strategies for targeting the assets of perpetrators of torture, as a means of seeking accountability and providing reparations to victims.
- Engage with sanctions mechanisms in the UK and elsewhere as a method of accountability for victims of torture.
For more information, please follow Link to Job.